Know Sooner
No sooner do I mention the last pathology and behold, I get the phone call. Actually I got the phone call yesterday but I generally screen the calls and I just couldn't force myself to pick up the phone.
Sami made me laugh with the notion that if I hadn't heard anything yet, then I wasn't likely to ever be contacted (I believe the suggestion was that there wasn't any information to be had from the pathology). Oh yee of little faith. (You must remember that this is CANADA - home of the best medical system in the world and home to the slowest lab results in the world. Both this pathology and the first pathology took around 3 months - imagine my shock when people in the States get them within a week or two.)
Anyway, sad to say, one of my more esoteric skills is collecting "embryonic material". I am now three for three (we didn't bother trying to collect for the first two miscarriages). My miscarriages tend to happen after the formation of a normal looking gestational sac and placenta so there is always "embryonic material" to collect.
When I had the third miscarriage and was given my "specimen container", I actually went on the web to see if I could find any picture of what I should be looking for. A little ghastly, no? Anyway, there was nothing to help in the identification which worried me but... I am now a veritable fountain of knowledge.
So, this last miscarriage? More trisomies, but now with twice the punch. Yes, two trisomies this time and they are for different chromosomes than the last two miscarriages were. So we have now tested for four different trisomies - if I had started younger, perhaps I could have hit all of them?
And as with the last two pathologies - the report notes that trisomies are the most common case of miscarriage and that with the trisomies present this time around, my risk for future miscarriage does not increase above that for any other woman my age (which is high anyway).
Hum, me thinks they may be missing something here.
Let's see:
Assuming the risk of miscarriage after 6 weeks gestation for ages 39 and 40 is around 1/3 and for ages 42 and 43 is around 1/2, then the probability that I would have had five miscarriages in a row is:
1/3 * 1/3 * 1/3 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/108
Slightly less than 0.01 (or slightly less than 1%). Okay, not beyond the realm of possibility but still - not too damn likely either.
The crappy part is that my risk for future miscarriage still hovers around 1/2 (in the unlikely event that I ever get pregnant again). Too bad I can't get credit for the trisomies I've already had. Fuck statistical independence anyway.
Please, lets hear the rest of you getting down on your knees in thanks that I am using up all the trisomies out there and increasing your chances of not having any. Actually, I told Lola that this last miscarriage was designated to offset her miscarriage risks so that one is already spoken for.
Maybe I'll go paint my nails. (DD?)
No sooner do I mention the last pathology and behold, I get the phone call. Actually I got the phone call yesterday but I generally screen the calls and I just couldn't force myself to pick up the phone.
Sami made me laugh with the notion that if I hadn't heard anything yet, then I wasn't likely to ever be contacted (I believe the suggestion was that there wasn't any information to be had from the pathology). Oh yee of little faith. (You must remember that this is CANADA - home of the best medical system in the world and home to the slowest lab results in the world. Both this pathology and the first pathology took around 3 months - imagine my shock when people in the States get them within a week or two.)
Anyway, sad to say, one of my more esoteric skills is collecting "embryonic material". I am now three for three (we didn't bother trying to collect for the first two miscarriages). My miscarriages tend to happen after the formation of a normal looking gestational sac and placenta so there is always "embryonic material" to collect.
When I had the third miscarriage and was given my "specimen container", I actually went on the web to see if I could find any picture of what I should be looking for. A little ghastly, no? Anyway, there was nothing to help in the identification which worried me but... I am now a veritable fountain of knowledge.
So, this last miscarriage? More trisomies, but now with twice the punch. Yes, two trisomies this time and they are for different chromosomes than the last two miscarriages were. So we have now tested for four different trisomies - if I had started younger, perhaps I could have hit all of them?
And as with the last two pathologies - the report notes that trisomies are the most common case of miscarriage and that with the trisomies present this time around, my risk for future miscarriage does not increase above that for any other woman my age (which is high anyway).
Hum, me thinks they may be missing something here.
Let's see:
Assuming the risk of miscarriage after 6 weeks gestation for ages 39 and 40 is around 1/3 and for ages 42 and 43 is around 1/2, then the probability that I would have had five miscarriages in a row is:
1/3 * 1/3 * 1/3 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/108
Slightly less than 0.01 (or slightly less than 1%). Okay, not beyond the realm of possibility but still - not too damn likely either.
The crappy part is that my risk for future miscarriage still hovers around 1/2 (in the unlikely event that I ever get pregnant again). Too bad I can't get credit for the trisomies I've already had. Fuck statistical independence anyway.
Please, lets hear the rest of you getting down on your knees in thanks that I am using up all the trisomies out there and increasing your chances of not having any. Actually, I told Lola that this last miscarriage was designated to offset her miscarriage risks so that one is already spoken for.
Maybe I'll go paint my nails. (DD?)

<< Home