Friday, July 21, 2006

(Not So) Random Numbers

0: the number of times I have cheated on my husband
(number of successful IVF cycles)

1: the number of children I have
(number of miscarriages I have had this year)

2: the number of universities I have attended
(number of IVF cycles that went to blastocyst)

3: the number of university degrees I have
(number of IVF cycles with total failure to implant)

4: the number of days I will spend at the beach on holidays this summer
(number of fresh IVF cycles I have had)

5: the age of my son
(number of miscarriages I have had)

6: the total number of different towns/ cities I have lived in
(the total numbers of doctors who got a good look at my nether regions during the first of many miscarriages)

7: the number of different courses I have taught at the post-secondary level
(the number of years since we first decided to start having children)

8: The number of years my husband and I were together before I became pregnant with our
son
(the number of frozen blastocysts we have)

9: The last two digits in our house number
(the number of days between a blast transfer and a Beta)

10: The number of years I took courses at university
(the total number of times I miscarried or had a nonexistant due date. How the hell can some of you actually remember the dates? I have managed to suppress all but two dates - the first miscarriage due date was Valentine's Day and this last miscarriage was due at Christmas - well actually it was the pregnancy that was due at Christmas. The miscarriage was past due and so the intervention with many of us looking stern and reasoning with the blighter.)

And so I occupy myself.

DinoD

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that the numbers are such difficult reminders for you. We'd also been together for 8 years when our son was born. It's hard to look back on the people we were all those years ago, innocently talking about wanting to have children someday, and not knowing the hell that we would all be put through to have them.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Sami said...

I don't even want to go into my random numbers... although it is quite interesting how you were able to count to ten two different ways.

I'm sorry for the bad reminders... and well... glad to hear you are still alive. I was worried that the failing of 3/4 of the class would send you over the proverbial edge. I'm also sorry to hear you only had 4 days spent at the beach on holiday... that number should have been significantly higher! Just a thought coming from the very pale person over here.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Sami said...

As for the due dates... I try not to remember most of them... although it does stink that means trying to forget my anniversary and my husband's birthday. I think he understands.

6:02 AM  
Blogger DD said...

I almost let myself forget the due date of the 1st IVF, until I realized that my calendar at work as the weeks on it. Kind of hard not to figure the due date, or at least where I would be, when the calendar says 26 weeks and my beta was 12/31/05.

How come the one set of your number can add up to so much and the other almost nothing? So damn unfair.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Lut C. said...

Those numbers knocked the wind out of me.

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It kind of says it all doesn't it.

It makes me sad how much I measure the rest of my in terms of my miscarriages. I wonder if it ever goes away.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

I had no idea you had 8 frozen blasts. What riches. But what crappy numbers. I do numbers in my head too, mostly about dates which is perhaps why I can remember them. I'm obsessed with weeks and months and shitty birthdays ahead.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. the number of times your listed on my blogroll
2. the amount of times I've had to redo your blog name due to typo's (mine)
3. the staggering amount of times I've visited this week
4. times I had to re-read your post
5. times I've had to stop myself saying how jealous I am of your blastos on Ice
6. make that 6 times I'm jealous no 2 ways about it
7. times I've snarfed out loud while re-reading your post
8. times I've had to double check my own counting ability
9. times I've looked to be sure I havn't repeated myself and still jealous
10. times 10 is 100 and I'm 100% certain I'll be back for more fossilization.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home