Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Like a Phoenix

Um, well, no that wouldn't be here. (Must be someone else's title).

I just didn't want to leave anyone thinking that perhaps a hemorrhage had gotten the better of me (at last, blessed silence from DinoD).

It looks like the worst is over although I caution you, do not take Misoprostol lightly (like you were all set to go and try it, weren't you?) This is the first time that I was prescribed the standard dosage and I forgot to ask what type of painkillers I could take so I did it without any medication. DO NOT TRY THIS!

When I was in labour with my son, the admissions desk kept telling me to walk around the hospital because I couldn't possibly be ready for admission as I'd only had contractions for two hours. I finally told them that they would find me down the hallway giving birth if they needed me. This motivated them to atually check and find that I was 6 cm dilated and progressing rapidly.

Why am I telling you this? Because it was a piece of cake compared to the contractions I had this weekend with the Misoprostol. I'm not sure what was up with that but fun it wasn't. (I guess I should also say that after I was about 7 cm dilated, I would pick the Misoprostol over the rest of the labour and delivery - in reference to the pain only of course.).

Anyway, I am now prepared for the residual hormones to continue kicking me around and tap dancing on my neurons for the next few weeks. I tend to get very bad headaches and other maladies for a while after I miscarry.

The half life of HCG is supposedly around a day and a half so if I actually had the last HCG measurement I could at least calculate when the damn pregnancy symptoms are likely to finally disappear. Yes, I still have most of the symptoms even though the causal factor now rests in the embryo pathology lab.

So do I have any words of wisdom? (Not that y'all are expecting any from this source.) I would say only to go the Misoprostol route if you can don a "nobody messes with me" and "I am a fucking Valkyrie" mindset.

That is to say, it's been hard.

DinoD

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted, not that I'm glad it's over but that you made it out the other side, I'm sorry it was so hellish and you didn't get juicy drugs to help with the physical pain factor. Thinking of you and hoping all of the hurts ease soon.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After all the mental anguish, it then is topped off by the physical. Nothing like beating a good woman when she's down.

Have you had prior embryo testing before?

12:56 PM  
Blogger Shinny said...

I am glad that you are doing ok and that for your sake it is over. Still very sad that it had to be this way for you.

Hope you can get some rest and heal physically and that the hormones decide to give you a break this time. Something has to give you a break one of these days. Take care.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bit late here, but I just heard and I'm sorry this pregnancy fell apart. I know, it sucks so much. Sending you hugs and sympathies.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so very heartsick sorry. So very sorry.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Sami said...

Dino - good lord... when they hand you a script for that they need to also hand a script for some percocet and valium... I'm sorry it was awful. I'm glad that it's over, but I wish it was a happier ending... Know I'm thinking of you. I hope the hormones go away quickly.

But most of all... I'm sorry you had to go through any of this in the first place.

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shit I'm sorry that you had to go through this again- I just don't know what to say other than I admire your strength and resilience....

11:27 PM  
Blogger Lut C. said...

No painkillers? Where did these people get their medical degree? Not at Google U, that's for sure.

How horrid that you still have PG symptoms after all this. I wish you a speedy physical recovery from this ordeal. Wishing for a quick emotional recovery may be a bit unrealistic, but I hope that too.

Take care.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I think in Canada you have to ask for pain meds or you don't get them. Or maybe that was just my experience. I'm so sorry you are still dealing with this whole mess but I am glad the worst seems to be over.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home