Friday, May 19, 2006

People, DO NOT GO TO VEGAS

Um, how to say this….
At my age, the probability of a successful pregnancy is around ½ (or 1 out of 2 women will accomplish the unthinkable).
Given that I’ve been spotting for a couple of weeks, the probability drops to around 1/8 (or 1 out of 8 women).
Given my history of recurrent miscarriage, the probability drops even further to say around 1/15 (or 1 out of 15 women).
Then with no heartbeat at 7 weeks and very accurate dating, we’re looking at some probability say around 1/10,000 (or less)?
Another scan yesterday with again no detectable heartbeat drops me to a probability around 0 (that would be zero women out of any large number you want to pick).

I envy y’all your ability to still be hopeful about this pregnancy but please, please place that hope somewhere more useful (Lola and Thalia spring to mind).

I understand that it’s difficult to know what to say to someone in my position (one of my friends started telling me about birth control methods last week) but I really have come to terms with the fact that this is miscarriage #5. What I am focused on now is trying to make sure that I don’t have to wait until the second trimester to miscarry (which has happened to me before).

I am supposedly going to have another scan in a week and they are finally willing to declare nonviability if there is still no heartbeat (well, I will be at 9 weeks so I don't think they would have much choice).

Usually (usually), a lot of pregnancy symptoms translate into a viable pregnancy but that is not the case for me. Four of my five miscarriages have been physically indistinguishable from my one successful pregnancy (unless you count ultrasound evidence).

Right now I’m trying to figure out if I can manage to get through next week with the remaining pants that I still fit in. I have lost around 5 pounds in the last month but I am still down to only 3 remaining pairs of pants that still zip and button closed. So yes, I feel pregnant, I look pregnant and well I guess I am pregnant ….. but not for long.

And I still feel lucky - I have a husband who I adore and a son who I love beyond all reason. I have a lot of financial freedom to pursue whatever interests me and I am generally fortunate. I wouldn't wish a miscarriage on anyone (let alone five) but that isn't what defines me (not even close).

Sometimes life comes down to a choice between just going on or drowning - it's not much of a choice when you really look at it. Yes, I would have loved to have another child and no, that just isn't going to happen and I'm okay with that (I have to be).

DinoD

13 Comments:

Blogger Lut C. said...

Yeah, there is that saying that the National Lottery is a special tax on people who suck at math. :-)

I'm so sorry you're going through this again. Don't apologize for feeling hurt, how else are you supposed to feel, huh?

I'm glad you don't feel like this experience is defining you. That's worth a lot. I wish I could say the same. And I'm very glad you were succesful that one time.

Take care and I wish you much strength in coping with those futile symptoms of pregnancy.

11:38 AM  
Blogger DD said...

I *heart* you.

Yes, it's corny, but sometimes letting someone you know you care is just as important to the person offering it as it is to the person who was offered.

Ok...now I'm dizzy....

11:44 AM  
Blogger Sami said...

Generally I'm a heartless bitch... but today you had this heartless bitch crying. I'm sorry and I do care like dd does as well. Your statement about "just going on or drowning" is true... know I'm here, I've got a life preserver if needed... and I wish that this wasn't miscarriage number 5... I'd like all of us to beat the odds.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so v v sorry that this pg isn't going to plan, I wish I had better words to use although saying I'm sorry and that my heart aches for you is the truth. I so wish this were different.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DD sent me over. I'm sorry you have to go through this. I've had two m/c. One that dragged on & on until 10 weeks, another that was at 6.5 weeks. If its going to end, I'd rather it be earlier, even though all m/c sucks. Thinking of you...

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that sucks! I'm so sorry for you. I just wandered by and your last couple entries remind me of #2, feeling pregnant (read: lousy, nauseated, exhausted), and that damn bleeding that was "probably nothing" and as long as there was no cramping was any number of harmless reasons. Oh, and I got the joy of a glorious 160 bpm heartbeat at 7 weeks so clearly this was a viable normal pregnancy. "Uh, yeah, bulls$%^" she said, as she spent four days miscarrying. And the bleeding started again, this time at 12 weeks during #3 (which was 14 weeks post-miscarriage). Which equated to basically 18 weeks of being first-trimester exhausted/nauseated/miserable with no end and wondering if I'd actually ever get a baby out of it or if I was just torturing myself for the heck of it...sigh...hang in there.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear DinoD, I'm so utterly sorry. This is so cruel.

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe they're making you wait that long. I'm sorry. Really, I'm sorry for all of this.

Take care.

6:47 AM  
Blogger msfitzita said...

I'm really so very sorry.

I don't understand why life is so cruel sometimes. But I'm incredibly heartened by the fact that even though it's been particularly rotten to you, you still have love and happiness in your life and, more importantly, you recognize it.

I have no idea where women find their strength, but damn it, we're pretty flocking amazing.

((((((((((HUGS)))))))))

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry you are going through this.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit. I'm really sorry.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I appreciate optimism, it can be cruel.

I'd rather be realistic, and be shocked by the miracle, than hope for a miracle and be disappointed. But that's just me.

I don't really feel okay with never having a second, but I accept it. I mean, whaddya gonna do?

2:01 PM  
Blogger x said...

I am so sorry. Your strength to see the love and light in your life is amazing. Thinking of you.

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home