Beggar Me
I phoned my doctor and asked / demanded/ begged for another blood test. I just got off the phone with the Dr. and I am off for another quantitative HCG tomorrow morning. I should get the results by late afternoon.
The bad news is that I basically lied in order to get the requisition (bad DinoD, bad DinoD). I explained that the symptoms are lessening and that I had bad nausea by this point even with the miscarriages and right now all I have is very mild and sporatic nausea. This much is true, however I also said that I am starting to have some cramping and that is probably not quite the truth. I have been having twinges and pains but I have enough experience with miscarriages to realize that I have not had any real cramping yet (note the "yet" here).
I also explained that I had no real desire to walk around until I was 8 weeks along before getting an ultrasound. Every miscarriage I've had has been worse the later it occured so if I can avoid waiting, I'm going to.
I must have been a little hysterical or something as I was also told that they could "possibly" arrange an ultrasound prior to 8 weeks if the HCG level doesn't look good. Of course this would be their version of "doesn't look good" which is quite different from all the information I've ever encountered elsewhere. Oh well, I guess I'll take my victories where I find them.
One of my students last fall missed an exam and came to discuss her absence with me. She promptly started crying and when I asked her what was wrong she said "I'm just so afraid of you." Maybe I unwittingly used some of my techniques on the Dr. I'll have to practice, who knows where this assertiveness/ aggression may take me.
I'm really not that scary, honest (just don't mess with my uterus).
DinoD
I phoned my doctor and asked / demanded/ begged for another blood test. I just got off the phone with the Dr. and I am off for another quantitative HCG tomorrow morning. I should get the results by late afternoon.
The bad news is that I basically lied in order to get the requisition (bad DinoD, bad DinoD). I explained that the symptoms are lessening and that I had bad nausea by this point even with the miscarriages and right now all I have is very mild and sporatic nausea. This much is true, however I also said that I am starting to have some cramping and that is probably not quite the truth. I have been having twinges and pains but I have enough experience with miscarriages to realize that I have not had any real cramping yet (note the "yet" here).
I also explained that I had no real desire to walk around until I was 8 weeks along before getting an ultrasound. Every miscarriage I've had has been worse the later it occured so if I can avoid waiting, I'm going to.
I must have been a little hysterical or something as I was also told that they could "possibly" arrange an ultrasound prior to 8 weeks if the HCG level doesn't look good. Of course this would be their version of "doesn't look good" which is quite different from all the information I've ever encountered elsewhere. Oh well, I guess I'll take my victories where I find them.
One of my students last fall missed an exam and came to discuss her absence with me. She promptly started crying and when I asked her what was wrong she said "I'm just so afraid of you." Maybe I unwittingly used some of my techniques on the Dr. I'll have to practice, who knows where this assertiveness/ aggression may take me.
I'm really not that scary, honest (just don't mess with my uterus).
DinoD

6 Comments:
I'm proud of you. Good work in securing another hcg.
I'm sorry if the category I put you in upset you, but "In Limbo" would have 95 blogs in it and 2 in "Other". I know it sucks, as I have been in three different categories which required four moves.
I'm staying optimistic and I dare you to come down here and kick my ass for doing so.
dd - you know I have a weight advantage over you? Although my arms are pretty short so you may have me on reach. Let me think about it and get back to you.
DinoD
I think making a doctor fear you is not necessarily a bad thing. Also you know what can happen - making the doctor's recognize and actually care about your symptoms is apparently difficult to do in Canada... for that I'm sorry. However congrats on securing another hcg and also possibly an u/s. Having said that - I will still keep my optimistic ass quiet, but you know what I'm hoping.
Oh and please don't be saying bad DinoD for lying - I would have done the same thing. Okay maybe that doesn't speak well of me, but seriously... sometimes honesty is not the best policy when all it gets you is a two week wait for an u/s.
Continue to be aggressive/assertive about your care. If we could only steal Mr. Cruise's u/s machine we'd get you scanned lickety split...
I am glad that you put your skills to work and finally got a doctor to do what is right. Keep up the good work and I will stay Pollyanna, but quieter just for you.
I do love you and am hoping to be following in your footsteps soon, 9 days will tell me the news.
I'm getting carpel tunnel from refreshing your site...I'm glad you made them give you what you want.
Apparently I'm very scary as well. Comes in handy sometimes. I hope you get that information, and I do hope that it's good.
Post a Comment
<< Home