I'm Humming (can you hear me?)
When I was very small (less than 7), my mother took me to the doctor with a complaint. "She keeps making a humming noise sort of like she's clearing her throat". The doctor looked me over, took a throat swab and could find nothing wrong.
It was all very unnecessary, I could have told them that. I always felt that I was insubstantial and didn't "fit" into my family. I started humming very quietly for a number of reasons (yeah, I know this makes me sound very bizarre – you mean you hadn’t figured that out yet?)
I hummed as a focal point to block out my loud older sister, as a way of just disengaging from whatever was going on and I hummed as a sort of personal assertion that in fact I did exist.
I eventually grew out of the humming but it comes back in very stressful times – more as a focal point and way of disengaging than anything else now.
So although I am not physically engaging in my monotone humming, I find I am almost effortlessly producing the same results anyway.
I just went out and bought my son some t-shirts from the Gap and a small bag of chocolate popcorn (no small treat as we tend to be more of a fruits and vegetables kind of household). I am reading an Elizabeth George novel, keeping tabs on my newly patched areas of lawn, keeping my newly planted raspberries and blueberries watered. I’m also relentlessly clicking on my favourite blogs (sorry if I am messing with your stats) and attempting to get some work done for the start of term.
And oh yeah, I had my second blood test today – don’t know the results of the first which was on Monday and no I’m not phoning for them. Don’t know that the pregnancy symptoms are increasing or decreasing and I’m trying not to think about it. Can you hear the humming?
Shanna (or Pollyanna as I affectionately call you): I am extremely unlikely to need the “stuff” although thanks for the offer
Lut C: is there such a thing as inappropriate sarcasm?
Misfitzita (names have been changed to protect the innocent): you know I just can’t delete you (I like you too much although I know, I know, it’s just a deletion)
Everyone else: thanks for the support while I wait out the countdown.
DinoD
When I was very small (less than 7), my mother took me to the doctor with a complaint. "She keeps making a humming noise sort of like she's clearing her throat". The doctor looked me over, took a throat swab and could find nothing wrong.
It was all very unnecessary, I could have told them that. I always felt that I was insubstantial and didn't "fit" into my family. I started humming very quietly for a number of reasons (yeah, I know this makes me sound very bizarre – you mean you hadn’t figured that out yet?)
I hummed as a focal point to block out my loud older sister, as a way of just disengaging from whatever was going on and I hummed as a sort of personal assertion that in fact I did exist.
I eventually grew out of the humming but it comes back in very stressful times – more as a focal point and way of disengaging than anything else now.
So although I am not physically engaging in my monotone humming, I find I am almost effortlessly producing the same results anyway.
I just went out and bought my son some t-shirts from the Gap and a small bag of chocolate popcorn (no small treat as we tend to be more of a fruits and vegetables kind of household). I am reading an Elizabeth George novel, keeping tabs on my newly patched areas of lawn, keeping my newly planted raspberries and blueberries watered. I’m also relentlessly clicking on my favourite blogs (sorry if I am messing with your stats) and attempting to get some work done for the start of term.
And oh yeah, I had my second blood test today – don’t know the results of the first which was on Monday and no I’m not phoning for them. Don’t know that the pregnancy symptoms are increasing or decreasing and I’m trying not to think about it. Can you hear the humming?
Shanna (or Pollyanna as I affectionately call you): I am extremely unlikely to need the “stuff” although thanks for the offer
Lut C: is there such a thing as inappropriate sarcasm?
Misfitzita (names have been changed to protect the innocent): you know I just can’t delete you (I like you too much although I know, I know, it’s just a deletion)
Everyone else: thanks for the support while I wait out the countdown.
DinoD

3 Comments:
Okay a girl has an internet snafu occur at her house and all this commotion occurs. I know I'm not sending hopeful crap to you. Just saying I'm here if needed... and I'll even hum with ya. Maybe that's what I need to start doing to get noticed... Do you hum anything in particular? Just out of curiosity of course.
Raspberries and blueberries I am slightly jealous... I think I may have to send hubby out for those as well as rhubarb. I can make his green thumb show up right?
Anyways back to uhmm humming. And if I might hope/pray/whatever you want me to do ... know I'm doing it - we won't have to talk about it okay.
Hey! Thanks for the nickname. ;) I, apparently, am very hard to find one for but you gave me one. I am just tickled silly right now. Thanks by the way, I really needed to see something good/funny this minute. I knew my blog girls would come through for me.
I was just saying that there is going to be a big old rummage sale in Northern Wisconsin, we have plenty of other junk that you may need, seriously the parents are talking about selling after living there for 36 years and both are huge packrats. So, you know I am here if you need me and secretly wishing you the best, ok, now it isn't a secret but Pollyanna says hey. ;)
So when will you give us permission to be hopeful?
Post a Comment
<< Home