The Babymobile
As part of coming to terms with my (negligible) chances of ever having another baby, I have launched the great baby equipment liberation.
I am so tired of seeing baby items (strollers, cribs, playpens, highchairs, car seats) every time I open a cupboard. We have a fairly small house (2000 sq. ft.) and so we are somewhat limited with our storage options.
The campaign started about 3 months ago when I could no longer face our all-terrain stroller sitting in the front entrance way. Our son hadn't needed it for at least a couple of years but I kept making the argument that when my friends came over with their babies, the stroller could come in handy if we took the older kids to the nearby park (the fact that the stroller hadn't ever been used this way was no deterrent to my flawless logic.)
With the looming visit from the in-laws over Christmas, I convinced my husband to load up the stroller into his car and take it to the Sally Ann (charity). Unfortunately, he was told that this charity does not accept baby equipment and so the stroller has now been in the trunk of his car for the last 3 months.
My husband drives a two door sports car that is bright red and pretty nifty (remember, I am a dinosaur so therefore allowed to use this type of language). After he bought the car, one of my friends dubbed it the Babemobile (the type of car that teenaged boys think the girls will flock to). I was happy that he could finally afford a "Babemobile" as it was his first new car and he was working long hours at the time (before our son was born).
So with the trunk taken up with a stroller, there is very little room remaining in my husband's car. If he needs to go and pick up anything larger than a CD (for example groceries), he now borrows my car.
Yes, I know this is a little strange but wait, it gets better. I actually feel a great deal of pride that I have "gotten rid of the stroller". Yes, it resides in my husband's car which is often in our garage which is really part of our house and so the claim to have "gotten rid of the stroller" is questionable at best.
But, in the last few weeks I have suggested "getting rid of the bassinet". And yes, you guessed it, I thought maybe it would also fit in the Babemobile. I have not suggested anything about the crib as I know the mattress and some of the components are too large to fit in a sports car (for which my husband is probably heaving a sigh of relief).
However, I do feel some guilt that I have turned my husband's Babemobile into a Babymobile. Who knows where this will end? My husband is likely to need a new car within a couple of years and I have my eye on a nice panel van for him (lots of storage space in those suckers).
DinoD
As part of coming to terms with my (negligible) chances of ever having another baby, I have launched the great baby equipment liberation.
I am so tired of seeing baby items (strollers, cribs, playpens, highchairs, car seats) every time I open a cupboard. We have a fairly small house (2000 sq. ft.) and so we are somewhat limited with our storage options.
The campaign started about 3 months ago when I could no longer face our all-terrain stroller sitting in the front entrance way. Our son hadn't needed it for at least a couple of years but I kept making the argument that when my friends came over with their babies, the stroller could come in handy if we took the older kids to the nearby park (the fact that the stroller hadn't ever been used this way was no deterrent to my flawless logic.)
With the looming visit from the in-laws over Christmas, I convinced my husband to load up the stroller into his car and take it to the Sally Ann (charity). Unfortunately, he was told that this charity does not accept baby equipment and so the stroller has now been in the trunk of his car for the last 3 months.
My husband drives a two door sports car that is bright red and pretty nifty (remember, I am a dinosaur so therefore allowed to use this type of language). After he bought the car, one of my friends dubbed it the Babemobile (the type of car that teenaged boys think the girls will flock to). I was happy that he could finally afford a "Babemobile" as it was his first new car and he was working long hours at the time (before our son was born).
So with the trunk taken up with a stroller, there is very little room remaining in my husband's car. If he needs to go and pick up anything larger than a CD (for example groceries), he now borrows my car.
Yes, I know this is a little strange but wait, it gets better. I actually feel a great deal of pride that I have "gotten rid of the stroller". Yes, it resides in my husband's car which is often in our garage which is really part of our house and so the claim to have "gotten rid of the stroller" is questionable at best.
But, in the last few weeks I have suggested "getting rid of the bassinet". And yes, you guessed it, I thought maybe it would also fit in the Babemobile. I have not suggested anything about the crib as I know the mattress and some of the components are too large to fit in a sports car (for which my husband is probably heaving a sigh of relief).
However, I do feel some guilt that I have turned my husband's Babemobile into a Babymobile. Who knows where this will end? My husband is likely to need a new car within a couple of years and I have my eye on a nice panel van for him (lots of storage space in those suckers).
DinoD

4 Comments:
I'm cracking up over the babemobile quickly changed to the babymobile... and at the very least the thing aren't in the house anymore right?? Good luck fitting the bassinet in there... I'm sure you can squeeze it in there. Just may take a bit...
I must say I am proud of you for being so agressive in getting rid of stuff. I have gradually gotten rid of stuff, and my husband has done of couple of runs to goodwill. But I just haven't had the heart to go through that dresser in the basement and get rid of the clothes that I saved for that often expected second child.
You are a role model! Hurray for DinosaurD!
Your description of your poor husbands car is too funny. I can just imagine him popping the trunk and a stroller being stuffed into it (for months no less).
You don't have any gonal you need to throw out do you? Just teasing, I know that stuff expires.
You can either call it getting rid of babystuff or preparing for upgrades. At least that's what I've been telling myself.
Not sure what kind of chick-magnet his car will be with a basinett strapped to the trunk with bungee cords...
Post a Comment
<< Home