Thursday, April 27, 2006

Down People, Down

You people all have just WAY too much optimism (at least as it pertains to me).

Before reading the HCG results so far, there are a few things you should remember.
  1. My body happily deludes itself it is pregnant even when there is only the tinest of embryonic formation in a gestation sac (i.e non-viable pregnancy).
  2. Although I have been told that missed miscarriages (yes, I know they are actually termed missed abortions) are rare, they are the norm for me. Only one of my miscarriages was "easy" - happened at 5 - 6 weeks and was pretty straight forward.
  3. I am 43 years old (I'm harping on this a lot lately) and even without my history, the risk of miscarriage is around 50% (not good statistics people).
  4. I have started calling y'all "you people" and I will try to stop this.

Anyway, with all the caveats, I don't really know when I ovulated (we elderly folk don't pay much attention to that anymore) but I would guess around the 6th or 7th.

So without further fanfare, the HCG was 213 on Monday (the 24th) and 620 yesterday (the 26th).

AGAIN, I CAUTION YOU - I HAVE BEEN HERE BEFORE TO NO AVAIL SO DO NOT GET YOUR HOPES UP.

DD: I will permit the smallest smidgen of hope if I ever get to the second trimester and a slightly larger dollop of hope if we ever get to a good amnio (ha-ha-ha, sob)

DinoD

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and wishing you well. If I'm really really discreet about it, can I hope a tiny little bit?

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya. I have the exact same obstetric history (only one early, at least a couple had normal hsg levels.

HOWEVER, it is the first step, is it not?

WIshing you the best of luck.

4:14 PM  
Blogger DD said...

Well, I can only hope that things start going so well that I can barely stand to read about it...if you know what I mean.

That'll learn ya, trying to leave us like that. Now you're stuck with us indefinetly.

5:43 PM  
Blogger K said...

I am just hoping that you are ok, either way.

6:45 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Geez, I miss a couple of days and now you are knocked up. At least for now. And Patricia is so right, it is a first step, and one step at a time is all anybody can do. Unless you hop, I guess. Anyway, we're still here.

11:13 PM  
Blogger DrSpouse said...

I think it is such a pile of cr*p that US doctors seem to call miscarriages "abortions". Here they are miscarriages, missed miscarriages, and if you choose them, terminations. Entirely separate terminology, no confusion whatsoever.

Having said that, they still seem to ask you if your pregnancy was "wanted" when you have a miscarriage, as if you might have induced it yourself if it wasn't.

4:26 AM  
Blogger Shinny said...

We have to have optimism for SOMEONE, at least in my case, I don't have it for me so I have to be optimistic for my Bloglandians who reach a milestone. Please let us be happy?
If you insist on this Doom and Gloom on your end, let us carry your burden(Pollyanna?) of happiness. You do know that whatever the outcome, we will be here with you. Right now we are carrying the torch of (whisper)happiness. So please let us be happy for you and have hope. You give me hope that it could happen one day for me.

As for that Pollyanna comment from the other day, you don't read my blog do you? Not so Pollyanna-like over there. ;) Love ya! Big hugs from Wisconsin.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Sami said...

I apparently did not comment... but meant to. Bottom line you got the first step... here's hoping the rest of the steps go smoothly... you know that you get to that point we can all start hoping openly for you... (2nd trimester amnio time etc) I'll just go cross my fingers and toes etc behind a tree so you don't have to see :) I agree with DD you are stuck with us indefinitely...

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home