Ahem
I love y’all. I love that you asked me “so what’s next”? Like my health care professionals would come equipped with contingency plans.
Um… what happened next was more waiting (like 5 weeks wasn’t enough waiting). It is called “Expectant Management”. When it comes to my experiences with miscarriage, “expectant management” consists of telling me that if I start to hemorrhage, I should get to the hospital as quickly as possible. Otherwise, I am pretty much left to my own devices.
In their defense, the technique has worked for all but one of my miscarriages (you just need to be of strong mind, or maybe just stupid, I’m not sure which). So it appears that I am finally Frankenstiny free and Frankenstiny life support system free.
I do object to the “expectant management” terminology however. Although it is used in a variety of circumstances, the term seems rather inappropriate for someone facing a miscarriage, being as “expectant” has all these other connotations.
So, I am trying to think of a better term. When it was initially a missed miscarriage, they could have said we would try “missed management” but I am thinking they would find this too close to mismanagement.
Then, when it was an incomplete miscarriage, they could have started discussing “incomplete management”. I am guessing that they would also be resistant to this terminology as well.
Perhaps they should just call it “leave us alone and go miscarry you old fool”. In essence they did tell me this and like the good soul I am, I complied, thereby saving our medical system several hundred dollars (for hospital care, nurses, drugs and the doctor that a D&C would have required). And actually, recent studies have shown better outcomes associated with “missed management” than with surgical intervention so I am telling myself that everything worked as it was supposed to (ah, other than the whole fetal demise thing).
Anyway, I was going to tell you that I am leaving this blog at least for a while. However, look where it got me last time I made that announcement. Therefore, I will cautiously hint that I am feeling my age and I am not feeling the need to discuss my reproductive status very much. Alas, the rest of my life is either boring or confidential or too chaotic to blog about.
I may still post occasionally but those of you who are checking here several times a day would probably be well advised to put me on bloglines or something similar so that you can put your time to better use. And yes, I can tell some of you are nearly relentless about checking me out - makes me feel like a teenager all over again (you see, I have sitemeter).
For the rest of you (people who comment), I will continue to visit your blogs and comment until you actually tell me to shut up and leave you alone (and perhaps even after that). Hum... I do love y'all but this sort of makes me sound like a stalker, doesn't it?
I love y’all. I love that you asked me “so what’s next”? Like my health care professionals would come equipped with contingency plans.
Um… what happened next was more waiting (like 5 weeks wasn’t enough waiting). It is called “Expectant Management”. When it comes to my experiences with miscarriage, “expectant management” consists of telling me that if I start to hemorrhage, I should get to the hospital as quickly as possible. Otherwise, I am pretty much left to my own devices.
In their defense, the technique has worked for all but one of my miscarriages (you just need to be of strong mind, or maybe just stupid, I’m not sure which). So it appears that I am finally Frankenstiny free and Frankenstiny life support system free.
I do object to the “expectant management” terminology however. Although it is used in a variety of circumstances, the term seems rather inappropriate for someone facing a miscarriage, being as “expectant” has all these other connotations.
So, I am trying to think of a better term. When it was initially a missed miscarriage, they could have said we would try “missed management” but I am thinking they would find this too close to mismanagement.
Then, when it was an incomplete miscarriage, they could have started discussing “incomplete management”. I am guessing that they would also be resistant to this terminology as well.
Perhaps they should just call it “leave us alone and go miscarry you old fool”. In essence they did tell me this and like the good soul I am, I complied, thereby saving our medical system several hundred dollars (for hospital care, nurses, drugs and the doctor that a D&C would have required). And actually, recent studies have shown better outcomes associated with “missed management” than with surgical intervention so I am telling myself that everything worked as it was supposed to (ah, other than the whole fetal demise thing).
Anyway, I was going to tell you that I am leaving this blog at least for a while. However, look where it got me last time I made that announcement. Therefore, I will cautiously hint that I am feeling my age and I am not feeling the need to discuss my reproductive status very much. Alas, the rest of my life is either boring or confidential or too chaotic to blog about.
I may still post occasionally but those of you who are checking here several times a day would probably be well advised to put me on bloglines or something similar so that you can put your time to better use. And yes, I can tell some of you are nearly relentless about checking me out - makes me feel like a teenager all over again (you see, I have sitemeter).
For the rest of you (people who comment), I will continue to visit your blogs and comment until you actually tell me to shut up and leave you alone (and perhaps even after that). Hum... I do love y'all but this sort of makes me sound like a stalker, doesn't it?
DinoD

14 Comments:
I hate to see you go, but you're bloglined baby! I'll know when you are posting, I'll know when you're away...
Wait, is Santa a stalker too?
You can stalk me anytime and you are on my bloglines as well. There's no hiding.
Was there any news from the lab or what happened there? You know where to email me at if you don't want to post about it.
And I know what will happen from here: something will trigger you to think "gee, that would make a good blog post" and you'll realize that you may have more to say than you think.
You are blogarithmed (not sure on that spelling) anyways, but that hasn't stopped me from uhmm refreshing a number of times on a daily basis... Feel free to stalk me... you are one of the few that truly understands what I'm going through and No, I'm not thankful for that, but it's nice to see a friend post that does get it. Rather than the "irl friend" who posted a big email telling me why I was being pessimistic. Uhmm feel free to email me too...
I'm glad to hear things have been uhmm completed, not sure if I like how they chose to complete them... wait and see though for me has never been high on my list of top ten things to do. I think I'd drive the Canadian healthcare system batty... heck I drive the US one a little nuts as well so why not another countries!
Take care of yourself ultimately and know I'm thinking of you even if you're not blogging.
I am glad to see you post again. And it sounds like you are feeling somewhat better, relatively speaking of course.
Since I am technology challenged and don't know how to do that blogline thing you will be stuck with me checking in on you each day. I will be the one keeping your stats up for you, ok?
Take care and please do pop over to my oh so exciting blog when you can. Really not much going on other then lots of demolition projects that I need to post about.
Take care and I hope you get back to posting your wit and wisdom for us all even if it is not reproductively related.
I'm sorry to see you go, but I understand. Sometimes life has a way of forcing you to reevaluate your world, whether you like it or not.
I hope she decides to be kind to you for a change.
'Overstayed welcome management'?
'Left luggage management'?
Expectant management IS a bad term.
You're most welcome to visit my place, but don't feel obligated to. It is very much about my reproductive status, and I suppose you're rather fed up with the subject in general.
Bloglines will keep me posted.
I hope whatever comes next is better.
Hey we all love a stalker....
I can understand your need to just hunker down and hide for a bit, but know you have heaps of cyber friends that are there for you whenever you need us.
x
Sorry you've got all this waiting still to do, and sorry you will be leaving us for a while. We will miss you.
Keep visiting me; I'll miss you otherwise. I'm truly sorry about everything that's happened. I hope life stops beating the crap out of you soon.
Oh Dino, I am SO glad I finally got to your blog. I really must be completely useless - but I just got a dead-end when I clicked on your comments on my blog. I have trawled through the links on other people's sites and finally found you almost without trying through Sami's site just now. Wow.
Sorry - you probably think I am nuts, it's just that on one of my very very low points you left the ONLY comment that made me feel like someone had a clue. Thank you so much for being there. That was all I needed to say. Now I will read some of YOUR blog and catch up with what's happening with you. Sounds like quite a bit of crap, from a cursory glance. Maybe more later then.
Thank you for my birthday comment - it actually made me laugh on such a crap day, so you do deserve a big ubercool cyberhug.
I think my last comment made ME sound like the stalker in this relationship - I shall write more about my experiences surfing your archives. Tears and smiles were had. I do identify with you a lot, if that doesn't sound to cheesy. Good that you are there. xx
I am still waiting for you to stalk me! Dang it, you don't like me anymore? Oops! Do I sound like Pollyanna? ;) Miss you lots and hope you are doing alright.
Damn it, I'm just like Vivien. I've seen you comment elsewhere and tried to find your blog, and couldn't for some reason. And now that I've finally found it, you're taking a break. Figures. I can't even stalk properly.
Anyway, I hope I'll still see you about.
I miss you! Hope you are doing OK.
Post a Comment
<< Home