Memo #1
Yes, well, sometimes (actually most times) I feel like I'm just way too wordy. Who really needs (or wants) to listen to all the crap percolating through my grey matter?
Now, I know this can go too far and it appears I was a little too sparse with the information in the last post. I feel a little like I've handed you all a loaded gun without much explanation (it's called a pistol deary).
Anyway, I'll try this one more time - without my son and husband hanging over my shoulder, lined up for our one measly computer.
The book, I hear you asking, the book? Yes it's a book Jennie (and so appropriate given your last post). Okay, it's "a Sunday at the pool in Kigali" by Gil Courtemanche (translated from French unless you want to hunt down the French version). Now, if y'all are looking for something light and relaxing, THIS IS NOT THE BOOK FOR YOU. Think dark and then.... think darker. Think Rwanda in the early 90s (AIDS and genocide).
BUT... (and this is a LARGE BUT), this is a book is so worth reading - it doesn't reek of exploitation of the subject matter or manipulation of the reader. It's that good people. And if you decide to read it, you have to read the dedication and Preface prior to reading the book (I always do this - but I know some people don't).
DD - the fact that I haven't done any programming in many years does not even enter into Mr. DinoD's decision making process. All he focuses on is that we could spend $1000 and get something that he is embarassed about or we could spend only about $3000 more and get A COMPUTER. A "real" COMPUTER and you know, you can never have too many machines capable of running a large internet business. The best analogy is the idea of hiding some Kraft macaroni and cheese in the cupboard of a blue ribbon chef. Even if they never have to use it, the mere presence of such an item in the home is insult, if not mortal insult. Yes, in some ways my husband sees me as part of the hoi polloi and he's busy fighting back the encroachment. (Maybe it would help if I stopped swinging my war axe.)
DinoD
Yes, well, sometimes (actually most times) I feel like I'm just way too wordy. Who really needs (or wants) to listen to all the crap percolating through my grey matter?
Now, I know this can go too far and it appears I was a little too sparse with the information in the last post. I feel a little like I've handed you all a loaded gun without much explanation (it's called a pistol deary).
Anyway, I'll try this one more time - without my son and husband hanging over my shoulder, lined up for our one measly computer.
The book, I hear you asking, the book? Yes it's a book Jennie (and so appropriate given your last post). Okay, it's "a Sunday at the pool in Kigali" by Gil Courtemanche (translated from French unless you want to hunt down the French version). Now, if y'all are looking for something light and relaxing, THIS IS NOT THE BOOK FOR YOU. Think dark and then.... think darker. Think Rwanda in the early 90s (AIDS and genocide).
BUT... (and this is a LARGE BUT), this is a book is so worth reading - it doesn't reek of exploitation of the subject matter or manipulation of the reader. It's that good people. And if you decide to read it, you have to read the dedication and Preface prior to reading the book (I always do this - but I know some people don't).
DD - the fact that I haven't done any programming in many years does not even enter into Mr. DinoD's decision making process. All he focuses on is that we could spend $1000 and get something that he is embarassed about or we could spend only about $3000 more and get A COMPUTER. A "real" COMPUTER and you know, you can never have too many machines capable of running a large internet business. The best analogy is the idea of hiding some Kraft macaroni and cheese in the cupboard of a blue ribbon chef. Even if they never have to use it, the mere presence of such an item in the home is insult, if not mortal insult. Yes, in some ways my husband sees me as part of the hoi polloi and he's busy fighting back the encroachment. (Maybe it would help if I stopped swinging my war axe.)
DinoD

2 Comments:
At our house, my husband buys a new fancy computer for himself, and I take the castoff.
Incidentally, his castoffs are still pretty respectable machines that would make pre-teen gamers drool. It's practically cruel to use them just for surfing and mailing. But that doesn't stop me. :-)
*aghast* what is wrong with mac and cheese in a box? bloody chefs ;)
ahuh a book indeed, hexallent will try and hunt it down this side of the world although not the french version.
men and their extended ID's here it's sound equipment, monitors, tv, radios etc do not come with adequate speakers living with a sound engineer has it's drawbacks namely the morning alarm, but hey at least I can surf the web and endue loss of hearing at the same time.
Post a Comment
<< Home