DD - the Voice of G@d
Ah, no people, I am not at 16 weeks, not even close. I am technically still in the first trimester (although just). The nuchal has to be done between weeks 11 and 13 so no, I am not lying here. I am also starting to freak a little - well, okay, technically I am starting to freak a lot.
There is still a heartbeat today which is the good news (and the bleeding has stopped for now). However, with a continued heartbeat, we are at the next stage of worry which is: "yes there is a heartbeat but what else might be wrong?"
The bad news is I started doing some research today and I have nailed down that the risk for Trisomy 21 (at my advanced age) is something like 1 in 23 and yes this is reduced by passing the nuchal scan but there is some debate by exactly how much. Add to that the fact that I know of people who passed the nuchal with flying colours and were still carrying a fetus with trisomy 21 (can anyone spell M-a-n-u-e-l-a?).
So do I just go ahead and schedule an amnio now???? Do I wait for the 16 week report and hope that if I want an amnio after that, it can be done quickly? Do I just curl into the fetal position and sob that I just can't do this anymore?
Any other suggestions? (Given that getting blinding drunk is not an option at this point.)
DinoD
Ah, no people, I am not at 16 weeks, not even close. I am technically still in the first trimester (although just). The nuchal has to be done between weeks 11 and 13 so no, I am not lying here. I am also starting to freak a little - well, okay, technically I am starting to freak a lot.
There is still a heartbeat today which is the good news (and the bleeding has stopped for now). However, with a continued heartbeat, we are at the next stage of worry which is: "yes there is a heartbeat but what else might be wrong?"
The bad news is I started doing some research today and I have nailed down that the risk for Trisomy 21 (at my advanced age) is something like 1 in 23 and yes this is reduced by passing the nuchal scan but there is some debate by exactly how much. Add to that the fact that I know of people who passed the nuchal with flying colours and were still carrying a fetus with trisomy 21 (can anyone spell M-a-n-u-e-l-a?).
So do I just go ahead and schedule an amnio now???? Do I wait for the 16 week report and hope that if I want an amnio after that, it can be done quickly? Do I just curl into the fetal position and sob that I just can't do this anymore?
Any other suggestions? (Given that getting blinding drunk is not an option at this point.)
DinoD

10 Comments:
When does your OB want you to do the amnio? If you really want one, I would do it as soon as you can. You have had such a rough time with all you've been through. You deserve a little peace. And if getting the amnio results will give you that, I say go for it. Good luck DinoD.
The good thing about amnio is that the risk is probably lower than the standard "1 in 300" (or 200, or...) usually announced. My doctor estimates it to be about 1 in 400. But it cannot be done before the 14th or (more commonly) 15th week of pregnancy, and the results can take a while -- up to 2 weeks -- to return.
There is an earlier test: CVS, but this carries a higher risk, and must be done between the 10th and 12th week. I would only ask for this CVS (chorionic villi sampling) if the person who will be doing it really knows his/her CVS, and has plenty of experience doing it. As with amnio, the more the doctor as done the test, the lower the risk. But most doctors have losts more practice with amnio than CVS.
DinoD, I am also in a position of advanced maternal age where I have to think about trisomies. But I also have to remember that our pregnancies aren't easy to come by. I'd ask your OB about CVS. (In my previous pregnancy, at age 39, I had it done at the same time of the nuchal screen. The CVS was done by a pro, and I still went home and freaked out). And then propbably I'd sit tight weigh all the test results. Manuela was "pushed" toward an amnio when her triple screen results indicated a high risk.
One of the problems I've found about getting pregnant at this age is that it's awfully easy to funnel all the anxiety about getting pregnancy directly into the pregnancy one/if it happens. We have real risks. But the chance that you will have a healthy take-home baby at this point is higher than the chance you won't, and that's very different from the situation a few months ago.
I am rooting for you both.
I had to do something to get some info from you. Christ, it's like pulling a hen's teeth.
OK. Now I have a better idea of whatsahappenen b/c I seriously thought nucals were done around 13ish weeks. And honestly, I thought you and I must have shared the same LMP date and I was living vicariously through you.
And blinding drunk seems to work for crack-whores. Not saying you're a crack-whore, b/c we all know you are a skanky ho. Way better class.
I'm rambling. Can you tell?
Seriously, though. I am pulling for you and I don't know what to think on the amnio. I guess if there's no bleeding between now and the 16 week mark, I'd feel a little more at ease.
Maybe now I can start a rumor that you are carrying Tom and Katy's second baby?
I promise, I won't congratulate you for having a baby until you are actually having one in your arms. But, I just can't help myself, I am really happy about your latest news.
Regarding the amnio, I have, of course, no input whatsoever. I think I'd wait for the 16 week report. But that's just me.
hang in there, DinoD.
What about CVS - can't remember when that can be done, but it may not be completely definitive but you'd have your answers sooner rather than later. As for amnio - I don't think you're going to feel "ok" until you are able to know for sure if this baby's genes are okay without any extras. Just my own thoughts...
being totally at a loss as to what to say but still feeling this need to let you know i think of you often. here are my thoughts.
If I ever get to the stage of even having to consider an amnio it will be scheduled ahead from as early as possible. I would say it would depend on what as an individual you would do with the information gained. some can live with the information with results making no difference to them some can't, I'll be totally honest and say I couldn't live without the information and I would act upon it, should the results return bad news.
All I can really do is sit this side of the world and hope no more horrors are visited upon you and that soon enough you'll be holding a beautiful babe in your arms.
Of all the options I think lying in the fetal position and pretending it isn't happening is probably best.
Oh Dino, what a difficult time for you, but I think mostly the second 'anonymous' comment above is probably the most sensible advice you can hope for (if you were looking for any). There is simply no getting away from the fact that you have a better chance of having a normal, healthy baby in a few months than, say, I have! (Not meant to sound like a 'poor me' comment - sorry if it does).
Thinking of you a lot.
xxx
I haven't read up on amnio's and cvs's yet. I'm clueless.
The longer I'm in this game, the more I hate statistics.
Al I can do is wish you good luck and lots of strength.
I don't want to say the wrong thing, so I'm not going to say anything at all - except that I'm quietly rooting for you. Let me know what I can whip out the pom-poms and mini skirt, okay?
Thinking of you...
((((HUGS)))
Hey there....no words of wisdom. Just wondering how you're doing.
Post a Comment
<< Home