STOP ME - before I google again
I must have way too much time on my hands as I have starting googling things like "embryo transfer in cows" and "flushing embryos from livestock". Yeah, I'm not quite sure what sent me off on this tangent either (while other than the whole dictionary connection followed by Jen's comment).
So I bow to the superior knowledge of other IVF veterans and I won't inquire too much about how exactly Jen came by the info (documentary, raised on a farm??)
Anyway, the one thing that leapt out at me was the cost. So while I have NEVER thought of DD as a "cow, sow, etc." (much less an inferior one), she would be facing much lower costs if she was indeed of the bovine persuasion.
From my googling:
Average Costs
$250-$300 for flushing cow
$100 for drugs (FSH, CIDR, Prostaglandin)
$175 to freeze 6 embryos
$60 to implant Embryo
$45 -? Semen Cost
Total:
Cost =$250+$100+$175+$360+$45=$930
$930/3 =$310 per pregnancy (50% pregnancy)
Ah, $310 per pregnancy - we can only dream of it eh?
Anyway, I am beginning to hear grumbling on the monitor so I should go to collect the wee one.
DinoD
I must have way too much time on my hands as I have starting googling things like "embryo transfer in cows" and "flushing embryos from livestock". Yeah, I'm not quite sure what sent me off on this tangent either (while other than the whole dictionary connection followed by Jen's comment).
So I bow to the superior knowledge of other IVF veterans and I won't inquire too much about how exactly Jen came by the info (documentary, raised on a farm??)
Anyway, the one thing that leapt out at me was the cost. So while I have NEVER thought of DD as a "cow, sow, etc." (much less an inferior one), she would be facing much lower costs if she was indeed of the bovine persuasion.
From my googling:
Average Costs
$250-$300 for flushing cow
$100 for drugs (FSH, CIDR, Prostaglandin)
$175 to freeze 6 embryos
$60 to implant Embryo
$45 -? Semen Cost
Total:
Cost =$250+$100+$175+$360+$45=$930
$930/3 =$310 per pregnancy (50% pregnancy)
Ah, $310 per pregnancy - we can only dream of it eh?
Anyway, I am beginning to hear grumbling on the monitor so I should go to collect the wee one.
DinoD

4 Comments:
I could get 41 babies out of that if they all worked, but of course working with statistics, a max of 20 babies (if all are singletons).
Move your fat ass over, Mrs. Duggar! There's a new Cow in Town!
Wow, to be a cow...
Now there's something I never thought I would say.
And do you realize how far the guy doing the insem sticks his arm up the cow?? Yeeee-ooowww!
I've done it before. It's not fun. Sticking my arm in a cow that is...
for those success rates at that price i'd take a muscle relaxant any day moooooooooooooooooooo. they also just catch the embryo as it comes out in a bucket, i think those embryologist fee's we pay are just cash cows for clinics, see above stats and costs tell me we need kid gloves for our embyros after reading that.
Post a Comment
<< Home