Thursday, October 04, 2007

Of Embryos

DD recently sent me an e-mail asking what we were planning on doing with our frozen blasts and 8 celled embryos and I haven't been able to stop thinking of them since the e-mail. Especially the one 'perfect' day 3 embryo from the last cycle.

Our storage fees come up within the next few months and therefore we can delay any decisions for a while but knowing us we will likely cough up the storage fees for another 2 years thereby avoiding the whole issue. It's actually only postponing the issue as our fertility clinic destroys unused embryos when the woman turns 50. This seems wrong on any number of levels but it does help to put the cap on how long we can delay the decision.

I would love to have another child but this old body is not up to another pregnancy (it was barely up to the last one). It is illegal to pay for surrogates in Canada and I'm not sure how I would feel about using a surrogate anyway.

I believe it is illegal to use embryos for stem cell research in Canada and so that's a no-go as well.

I don't imagine there would be a lot of people lined up for embryo adoption given my age at the time of the cycles and my history of trisomy bearing embryos both prior to and after the IVF cycles. I also am a little overwhelmed by the thought of the responsibility of finding the 'proper' potential parents. This has been very controversial in some of the blogs that I have read (from the adoptees point of view).

So, any ideas?

DinoD

Shinny: new picture as requested.

3 Comments:

Blogger DD said...

I wish I had a suggestion, which I would have offered at the time of the email, but I had none. I almost half-jokingly suggested that you let us have them, but I think our blogging relationship would add a whole new and different level of "weirdness" to it all.

I've been thinking about it as well, as you know. Worst case (which would be our best case) scenerio would be we would end up with our being destroyed...and after all that we've each been through, that's a really, really hard thing to think about.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Shinny said...

That has to be such a hard decision to have to make. I can't even imagine.

Thanks for putting up with my demands for pictures of that beautiful little princess. You are the best, MMMWWWWAAAAHHH!

Every picture gives me hope that I will soon be as lucky as you and be able to post pictures of my own baby. I still have those days when I wonder if this is real.

5:59 AM  
Blogger K said...

We have donated ours to a dear friend. I felt REALLLLLY weird about the idea of strangers having them, kinda oogie about them being destroyed and even though initially I was ok with stem cell research, I just don't know now. (I am all for stem cell research, but not for us personally...does that make sense?)

It is probably one of the hardest parts of this process, as our hope for the IVF cycle was to at least have a few frozen for when the fresh cycle didn't work. But it did and we have Max. (No complaints.) It left us with this decision, as I just can't do another pregnancy and quite frankly our family is complete now.

I wish I could help more but I am pretty much useless. ;o)

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home