Friday, April 27, 2007

The Fourth Time I Cried

I have cried exactly four times with this pregnancy (and I am generally NOT a crier).

The first time was when I went for the first ultrasound around 6 weeks and I was already bleeding. I thought I was prepared for anything. I could have been told ectopic, blighted ovum, molar pregnancy... and I wouldn't have cried (I didn't cry at any of the ultrasounds for my miscarriages). But... but... when I was told there was a heartbeat, I lost it a little. I was prepared for everything except that.

Then I cried twice during the eleven days between when I was told about the possibility of a congenital heart defect and the echocardiogram that was normal. The crying was late at night by myself and also consisted of muttered apologies to the baby.

The fourth time I cried was today. Eleven days ago I was told that I was measuring too large for dates and that it looked like I had Polyhydramnios. This would not only increase my already high risk for placental abruption but is also associated (around 20% of the time) with fetal problems such as trisomies and hydoencephaly (I passed the gestational diabetes screen so it wasn't likely to be due to that). Needless to say, the last eleven days have felt like forever (11 days again due to our public health system).

So at the ultrasound today, we found out that the baby is measuring a little larger than normal (both head and stomach) but that everything looks fine and is in proportion. I have a lot of amniotic fluid but am not at the stage of Polyhydramnios. Even though I have only put on 5 pounds (and lord I've been trying, believe me), the baby looks well nourished and developmentally normal. I actually felt comfortable enough with the results that I asked for the gender at the end of the scan.

I bought and then gave my husband a small bag of baby clothes to look through after the appointment. There were just a few things in white and a little bit of red and at the bottom of the bag was a small pink bonnet.

DinoD

16 Comments:

Blogger Alley said...

I almost cried reading your entry. I am so glad that everything is ok with your little girl. My prayers are with you. By the way, my little one is a girl also.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Shinny said...

I am very happy for you. (Can you tell I am totally standing on Pollyanna's neck right now?)

I am glad that everything is looking better then it did. Is your hospital doing a study on how much stress can an over 40 year old mother, with history of losses take before she either goes "postal" or just keels over? I think they are doing this for fun, for themselves, obviously. Because it sure isn't fun for you or for us.

I hope that the next appointment is stress free. Tell them that for me and tell them "Don't make me call my friend in Wisconsin to come kick your butts for all the stress." ;)

1:41 PM  
Blogger Lut C. said...

Only four times? Four! Not a crier, indeed.

Do they just like scaring the living daylights out of you? They sure could have fooled me.


A woman would be tempted not to go to any more check-ups.

Good to hear it was another false alarm, though I'm sure you'd prefer no more alarms at all.

3:09 PM  
Blogger M said...

You amaze me - 4 times?! Is that all?

I'm so happy that your baby girl is doing so well D.... x

4:09 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

This is amazingly awesome news. I will do your crying for you, mkay? You need to stay stress free. yay for pink!

4:56 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

I'm so very happy for you Dino. It's wondeful to finally have an appointment that you come away from happy, rather than terrified. A little girl. I'm delighted for you.

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so glad to get an update from you, and even more glad that things are ok scary and tear worthy but looking OK.

thinking of you and your brood.

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How amazing, and so very exciting for you!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Sami said...

While I am not a teary eyed person - you made me cry... first because I know you have hit the point where if this baby comes early she has a great shot. I'm delighted to hear that in spite of measuring big - everything is right on. Huge HUGS your way - not generally the huggy type but good lord this drama deserves a hug. Hang in there my friend. Tell your little girl that as well. I know how hard it is for you and your husband to even consider that things might just might turn out okay in the end... and that is totally understandable. I'll take that step of buying clothes and just snuggle with that for a bit.

2:21 PM  
Blogger queen said...

Your post made me cry: DinoD, hang tough. I'm crossing all body parts for you. The stress and the worry should just end with the BFP, that should just be the pot at the end of rainbow. I so, so wish life could be like that, especially for you, especially right now.

Please know I'm wishing you the best with all my might.

6:35 PM  
Blogger msfitzita said...

~ smiling ~

7:47 PM  
Blogger kati said...

Hurray for happy tears! DinoD, I am really, really happy for you. Keeping fingers and toes crossed for the remaining weeks.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Runergirl said...

OMG!!!!! AWESOME!!!!

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I have probably cried more than you over this baby. What is your proper due date? I think it would help me to know! (which, in the grand scheme of things is obviously the most important thing!)
Thinking of you still. A baby girl - wow.
Vivien

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang on in there baby girl!

2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, I'm crying too. I'm so glad the news was good enough to make you feel *somewhat* better. A baby girl, how wonderful. Congrats momma.

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home