Friday, March 02, 2007

I'm Up, No, I'm Down, No, I'm Fine, No, it Was A Bird, No, A Plane, No, Just Wait....

I don't even know where to begin this post and I don't even know what is up with this pregnancy yet but things are looking better than a week ago. Where to start?

Last Friday, the ultrasound technician carefully took me through everything (see, there's the feet, there's the diameter of the skull, there's the tooth buds...) and then at the very end everything fell apart. The 4-chamber view of the heart looked fine but then they need to locate the outflow tracts from the heart (the vessels that will eventually route the blood correctly through the heart). The technician couldn't find the vessels and then when she thought she saw them, they didn't appear to cross as they should (which is a MAJOR problem).

The big guns where brought in (the Perinatologist) who spent forever trying to find the outflow tracts and then pronounced "they should be right here and they aren't, we'll have to refer you to the cardiac specialists, when did you have your amnio?". She told me that the outflow tracts are very nearly ALWAYS found in normal pregnancies and the failure to visualize them was NOT a good sign (to put it mildly).

Fast forward to my OB who concurred and said that she had only had failure to find the outflow tracts in very obese patients (which I am not). We didn't even bother making another OB appointment as everyone had started to write this pregnancy off. So we decided to arrange an urgent amnio for yesterday (once they establish congenital heart defects, they always highly recommend and amnio to check for other possible complications which might arise).

So there I am yesterday, after having spent half an hour discussing my situation and filling out consent forms. I am lying on the bed, ultrasound gel on the stomach. I've been shown my name on the testtubes for collection of the amniotic fluid and the perinatologist is having her final sip of coffee prior to the amnio draw. Then....then... the ultrasound technician (different one than last time) says "why are you here again?". When I explained about the outflow tracts she raised her eyebrows and said "let me check again". And... she found them, exactly where they are supposed to be and in the correct orientation (or at least apparently).

There followed some discussion of what this all might mean and I had about 2 minutes to decide whether to proceed with the amnio or not. I didn't have it done.

So, I still don't know what our odds look like but I will know more early next week after the diagnostics with the cardiac specialists.

This has shaken me up so much (good for a martini, not for a person). I spent six days saying goodbye to this baby. And as this one is so active, it was impossible to forget for much more than a minute at a time. I spent the time weighing choices like "is it better to terminate when the baby is still in utero or should I go to term and then watch it struggle to breath and then suffer heart failure within minutes of being born?" It made me think about the responsibility I have to this baby and what life means and where the quality of life fits into the equation.

Oh yes, it's been nothing but good times over here. The one thing this has done is to make me much less sorry for myself over the five miscarriages. Really. Compared to losing this baby now, the miscarriages would seem like only a small bump in the road. And I know that there are experiences that would make losing this baby seem like less of a tragedy than what I currently feel. I just hope I never have to learn that lesson.

DinoD

12 Comments:

Blogger DD said...

I am tied up in knots.

It can only be a fraction of what you feel. Not even enough to be called a fraction.

9:17 AM  
Blogger K said...

Oh Dino, I can't even imagine. I have absolutely everything crossed that your sweet little one is ok. I pray you and the baby are safe and sound.

10:46 AM  
Blogger M said...

Wow.... I don't know what to say, I cannot imagine the heights of terror and acceptance you've experienced only to turn around the other way- but I'm so very GLAD and happy that all seems to be ok! x

1:50 PM  
Blogger Sami said...

First - let me just say a big giant THANK YOU to the new u/s tech. The old one well don't let her touch you when you see the cardio specialist team. Seriously - she comes at you with an u/s wand you say - NO. Nothing against him/her, but if they didn't find it the first time and someone else did, then why expect them to be able to find it a second time.

For now I am keeping you and this pregnancy in my prayers... I hate the anxiety you have been forced to endure and wish that I could do something to help. A stiff drink would probably be nice right about now - will you settle for a virtual one or heck a virtual xanax... at this point I think you've deserved the right to sleep until this baby gets here.

So for now - keeping you in my thoughts and prayers... hang in there friend.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Thalia said...

So, so relieved to hear this, cannot imagine what it's been like for you. I hope the cardiac surgeon consultation is nothing but even better news.

7:30 AM  
Blogger queen said...

Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. GREAT NEWS.

I hope the news just gets better and better.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just let out a huge breath. How scary and devastating this has been for you, and how strange it must be to get such good news after trying to accept what you were told before. I'm remaining hopeful for you, and for this baby. I'm also sending mental thanks to that u/s tech from a lot of miles away.

1:17 PM  
Blogger kati said...

I am so glad. So, so glad. I thought a lot about you and your little babe during the last week(s). Hope your meeting with the heart specialist will bring only good news.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Oh my dear God...I can't even begin to imagine the hell that you have been put through. I'm so glad you posted though. I have been checking regularly and you are never far from thought. You will continue to be there, and I will continue to check in on you. Unbelievable.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Shinny said...

I am so very glad that things have started looking up again. I just can't even imagine what you were going through all last week. I was a mess and it isn't even me going through this in real life.

Let me know when you want me to send the boy your way to do some work. I suppose I would have to come with him and force you to just sit on the couch well I waited on you hand and foot. How does that sound?

I can bring the baby stuff that I still have not been able to permanently get rid of as well. ;) People keep returning the shit to me! So, maybe if I take it out of the country I can finally be rid of it. ;)

Big, gigantic hugs to you and please let me know if there is anything I can do for you, seriously, since I don't need a passport, yet, to cross the border I would be more then happy to take a little trip up north.

5:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh god, what a bloody rollercoaster. I read this yesterday at work, and had to log out quickly as I was just about sobbing with relief for you. I think I can just about imagine something close to what you have been through - and feel like you - glad not to have to put it in context with a worse experience. This baby just has to make it.
Vivien

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really relieved to read this news, but I can't even begin to imagine how you must feel. Rooting for you in Scotland.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home