Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I'm Trying So Hard

Disclaimer prior to reading the following: everthing is still apparently all right

I was walking across the family room rug last night and felt wetness on my feet. I looked down and saw eight to ten spots of liquid on the rug. I started checking my feet to see if I was leaking blood or amniotic fluid. My husband took one look at my face and said "it's water, it's water.. it's from the playmobil swimming pool, it's water".

I didn't cry, I just was totally numb and that's how my days go. I am constantly waiting for this to all come crashing to an end. Everytime I use the washroom I steel myself to find blood (and good lord I had forgotten how often a pregnant woman needs to use the facilities). If I try to limit my trips to the washroom then I end up with a lot of abdominal pain and this isn't a big improvement on the stress factors.

The only people who know I am pregnant are my husband, a number of medical professionals and two of the mothers of two of my sons friends (they kept wanting to set up afternoon play dates and it was either tell them or let them think that we didn't like them). None of our family knows (which has required some skillful juggling) and none of our friends know. I pick up my son after kindergarten and carefully keep my jacket closed (thank goodness it is still winter). There are several of my husbands co-workers who have wifes that are due in the summer and we are definitely keeping quiet on that front as well. I keep thinking that when everyone starts talking about what day their child was born that I will chime in with the day that mine died.

I am thankful (always) that we have made it this far. But I have to admit that I am trying so hard not to fall head over heels with this baby. I can feel it move quite a bit now (posterior placenta) and that makes it harder. I am promising myself that I will relax a little once we have the 19 week ultrasound if everything is still looking good (at the end of next week). But who am I kidding? I keep hearing the OB warning that all the bleeding in the first trimester might well mean there is something wrong with the placenta.

I am taking care of myself although I am still nauseated almost all the time and especially from about 1 pm until bedtime (which is now around 8:00 as lying down with all the lights off helps the nausea a bit). I am now only about 3 pounds below pre-pregnancy weight so things have been improving at least a bit.

So how are things with you? (And please don't try to slap me silly, I've tried and it doesn't help).

DinoD

12 Comments:

Blogger Alley said...

I hope that it gets easier for you in the coming weeks. I can not say that I have been where you are,but to a degree I am going through the same thing. We did get to hear a heartbeat yesterday and that was wonderful, but there is still fear in my heart that I won't get to meet this baby. So, I will keep praying for you that it gets easier for you.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Lut C. said...

There is absolutely nothing helpful I could say. Each time I click over here, I hold my breath in. Exhale...

Now for something unhelpful. Music:

Too many puppies (not cute, I promise).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2zQKqgNAeE

Mala vida:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwAra56OGiY

Blue monday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9ZXDORgv-8

2wicky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYRrkLpcrVk

Blasphemous rumours (sad lyrics, good punchline)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNxctyRQfq0

Kraftwerk - the model
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR5HovyViaM

Eisbaer (How's your german?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz7Yi7b5RO4
I want to be a polar bear. Polar bears never need to cry.

Fever in Muppet style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ5U9Unh3cE

You may now blast me for my taste in music. ;-)

1:23 PM  
Blogger Shinny said...

Well you asked what was new so I will tell you.
I tried to gas myself and the family by cleaning the crusty, cinder block shower that apparently hasn't been used in forever, with bleach. Just a note, don't poor bleach down a drain that has not been flushed out in who knows how long.
Fingers crossed I will be selling my trailer on Monday.
Totally forgot that it was Valentine's Day so need to figure out something to get for the hubby on the way home.
Hoping and praying everyday that you will be fine and end up with a healthy baby in a few more months. Wish I was closer to come over and bore you to tears with my stories so that you can get your mind off the worry for a few minutes.
And I already slapped you upside the head, remember? ;)
Love, Pollyanna

2:16 PM  
Blogger kati said...

DinoD, I can only imagine how stressful this time must be for you. I hope so much that you and your babe are fine.

Well, you know my "big" news, so nothing else to tell. I went in to get a rhogam shot (a bit over the top I know for the 5 minutes I called myself pregnant), but hey, it was nice to feel like an OB patient (and not the usual Gyn one) for once. I am actually doing quite fine.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Runergirl said...

I just keep saying YES for you because I want it to happened so bad!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Sami said...

Phew- I umm understand your reaction right now... and you probably fear as if you're one step away from the funny farm. However I think with all that you've been through your reaction is normal - at least it is in my eyes. I'm not normally into hugging - but here's some chocolate as well I am into that and it's the thought that counts even if I am a day late... I'm thinking of you and rooting for you and well... just here like your own personal stalker.

6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear DinoD, I am so thrilled to hear that all seems to be well with you. And of course there is no need or desire to slap you silly, because this situation is utterly terrifying. I think you are doing just fine. Hoping very hard that things continue to go well for you.

2:46 AM  
Blogger msfitzita said...

Chiming in to say I hope all continues to go well, and to say how happy I am to read that it is going well.

Thinking of you...

7:16 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Since you asked...things here are great. I won't try to slap you silly ... it sucks that the joy of a pregnancy is shadowed by every twitch and normal happening. My wish for you today (and it's my birthday today, so I do have a wish to use) is that you experience a glimpse of that normal, pre-journey, unadulterated blissful innocent joy of pregnancy - if even just for an hour. We don't ask for much. There.

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot get pregnant, and keep reading your blog to remind me why this might be a good thing!
I mean this in a good way, of course, I just FELT IT completely about the water on the floor, and just waiting for 'it all to come crashing down'. Feeling for you through all this.
Vivien xx

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dino. Maybe you won't get this, but I am so gutted by your news. I have been considering closing my blog too, and it's only because people like you are out there that I don't. If you could bear to, would you send me your email address to vlegood@yahoo.co.uk ? Vivien

5:39 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Hey friend....
just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you.
Sandy

4:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home