Thursday, February 01, 2007

Briefly

Just a few things I need to clear up. First of all, no one is "forcing" me to have an amnio. I do not know of any developed country where women can be forced into any prenatal diagnostics - certainly not the country that I live in. Perhaps if I lived in a country where I was considered my husband's chattel but not here. In fact everyone I've dealt with in the medical community has been nothing but supportive of the idea that it is a decision for my husband and I to make on our own (fully informed of all risks). I'm not sure where this idea of forced amnio has come from - I've seen it in reference to another blogger where once again, it did not apply in any way, shape or form.

Secondly, there is far more likelihood that there is a genetic problem with this fetus than that I will kill a healthy fetus as a result of choosing to have an amnio. So please, no more insinuations about the potential risks from amnios - I am qualified to teach statistics at a graduate level so you're not likely to have any better grasp of the stats then I do.

Thirdly, I wish to apologize for sending peoples' statscounters all wonky (technical term) for the last little while. I am gradually entering everyone into my RSS Bandit feeds and therefore the incessant hits from my ISP provider will eventually be curtailed. (I have had waaaaaaay too much time on my hands lately.)

Anyway, amnio early next week and then I'll be on bedrest so I won't be updating until a few days after the deed (and I am not likely to get results until a few weeks after that, being in Canada and all). But, I promise I will update as soon as I can.

DinoD