Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Heartbeat

Okay, the good news is that there is still a heartbeat and my uterus growth indicates the fetus is probably still growing at an appropriate rate. She didn't time the heartbeat so I can't tell you what it is other than a very approximate couple of beats and a bit per second.

The bad news is that all the early bleeding could indicate a problem with the placenta and possibly that the placenta will not provide enough support for the fetus or perhaps will not last as long as is needed. More fun things to worry about.

The other bad news is that it is almost certainly the case that we will be having the amnio next week. Even if the blood work comes back okay, the suggestion is that with my advanced (near geriatric) age, the risk of trisomy 21 will still be substantial.

Fun, fun, fun ... and no, we're not even close to being there yet. (Sorry that I'm not more excited right now).

DinoD

9 Comments:

Blogger DD said...

I was just getting to email you, but I thought I'd check here one more time...

I want to ask you something, but I'm going to send it via email because I don't want to stir up any shit here.

I'll take just a little breath of relief, if that's OK.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that there's a heartbeat....

1:15 PM  
Blogger Shinny said...

I am very glad that number 3 was there today.
Now we just have to hope and pray that the evil number 3 stays away.
Even old bags like us can pop out a healthy one every now and again. I am hoping that it is your turn now.
Take care and I will be thinking of you.

1:53 PM  
Blogger kati said...

I like the good news!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Lut C. said...

Oh goody, because you were definitely running low on the things to worry about list. X-/

I'm very glad you're still in the running.

2:57 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

Ok. I'm allowing myself a small sigh of relief for the heartbeat, and then going back to holding my breath with you. Hang in there.

3:48 AM  
Blogger Sami said...

Okay so hmmm code level orange? We're nowhere near green yet...

Lets do a doppler u/s to see how that placenta is working... (don't even know if they do those) and so uhmm amnio next week? Going back to holding my breath, crossing my fingers, knees, toes, elbows, etc...

7:16 AM  
Blogger Thalia said...

You don't have to have an amnio just because the risk is high, do you? Or do you want one so that you know?

Very very good news today, though. You're not there yet, but you are somewhere.

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hate that geriatric terminology. Almost as good as 'habitu*l ab*rter' which I love so much.

Good news about the good stuff anyway. Can't blame you at all for not being more excited. It's all about self-preservation, or so my counsellor tells me!

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home