And so I Say in a Very, Very, Small Voice ..... maybe
And the ride continues. My nuchal results and the integrated triple screen test were supposed to be available this past Friday. Nope. I ended up phoning the hospital yesterday (Monday) and was told that all my Dr's office needed to do was contact the lab to have the results faxed to them. Failing that, I would likely have the results a few minutes prior to the amnio procedure itself (minutes?????).
Well, dealing with my Dr's receptionist is akin to oral surgery with no anesthetic. Suffice it to say that informing her that she just needed to request my results from the hospital was too nebulous a directive. The upshot being that I didn't receive my results yesterday either.
So when did I receive them? A couple of hours before the scheduled amnio that was dependent on the integrated results that no one seemed to be in any hurry to convey to me.
Anyway... I should be much more grateful because the integrated (nuchal and bloodscreen) results were really good. My risk for trisomy 18 or 21 is extremely small (they actually said around the same risk as a teenager although I have not yet let this make me giddy or changed my hairstyle). The risk for open spina bifida is higher but still quite a bit below the level where they recommend an amnio.
So taking extremely deep breaths we have decided to forego the amnio.
And so I am allowing myself to say (very quietly and only when I am by myself and I believe the gods are occupied elsewhere)... maybe.
DinoD
And the ride continues. My nuchal results and the integrated triple screen test were supposed to be available this past Friday. Nope. I ended up phoning the hospital yesterday (Monday) and was told that all my Dr's office needed to do was contact the lab to have the results faxed to them. Failing that, I would likely have the results a few minutes prior to the amnio procedure itself (minutes?????).
Well, dealing with my Dr's receptionist is akin to oral surgery with no anesthetic. Suffice it to say that informing her that she just needed to request my results from the hospital was too nebulous a directive. The upshot being that I didn't receive my results yesterday either.
So when did I receive them? A couple of hours before the scheduled amnio that was dependent on the integrated results that no one seemed to be in any hurry to convey to me.
Anyway... I should be much more grateful because the integrated (nuchal and bloodscreen) results were really good. My risk for trisomy 18 or 21 is extremely small (they actually said around the same risk as a teenager although I have not yet let this make me giddy or changed my hairstyle). The risk for open spina bifida is higher but still quite a bit below the level where they recommend an amnio.
So taking extremely deep breaths we have decided to forego the amnio.
And so I am allowing myself to say (very quietly and only when I am by myself and I believe the gods are occupied elsewhere)... maybe.
DinoD

14 Comments:
DinoD,
this is incredibly good news. I like it a LOT!
YIPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!
Go ahead and say "maybe". I think the gods are down here fucking with me instead.
*breathe*
This is good....
Change your hairstyle? I would say a piercing is the least you could do.
Just a small one. No teenager is complete without one. Or do you have one already?
Ahem, faxing test results is so passé. My dr. has online access to lab results.
I'd be so angry to know they had access to the results, but couldn't be bothered to send them.
I have acquaintances that want to emigrate to Canada. I wonder if they know about the fabulous health care you have.
Anyway, extremely small risk is music to my ears. Maybe = a word I like to use.
Sorry you had to deal with the doctor’s office, I know how infuriating that can be!
But is it okay for me to “maybe” for you too. Trying to contain my excitement for you.
I guess listening to you describe your experience with that healthcare system shoots my plans to run away to Canada to avoid the draft and you know, get "free" healthcare. ;)
Kind of scarey how those 3's are listening to me, isn't it?
Big hugs and 30 below kisses from Wisconsin.
Phew. Fantastic news!
Yay for no amnio! Scares me to think of one, actually. Just hang in there and breathe deeply.
Ok. This news made me smile.
Maybe is my new favorite word.
I'll take maybe for $200 please... what no new hairstyle for being told the results were similar to that of a teenager - I was so hoping for a new do for ya :) Taking a deep breath for you... we shall see right?
Maybe sounds very much better than not-yet-at-maybe!
Sometimes "maybe" is all you need.
:)
Oh Dino, as a very non-religious person, all I can think to say is "thank god for that".
You'd laugh - I'm crying.
Vivien x
Post a Comment
<< Home