Friday, September 07, 2007

I Miss

I know that I won the lottery when I had a successful pregnancy at age 44 after 5 previous miscarriages (and with no medical intervention or help to boot). I know that my family is now complete and I still have to sometimes shake myself into believing that I have both a son and a daughter. But... I find myself unexpectedly missing some things.

Firstly, I find myself missing the ability to comment on someone's blog and leave my url. I know there are a lot of IF bloggers who do NOT need to follow my link and hear about my daughter (or my son). I used to hate encountering bloggers who would comment so compassionately on someone's miscarriage or failed cycle but when I followed them, found that they had just had a child or were happily pregnant. I always thought their compassion was a tad fraudulent or insincere. My thoughts were along the line of "please, you're not there anymore so don't pretend you understand".

And now I find myself (very unexpectedly) on the other side. And it's true that while I remember how it was during the years of SIF (and there were a lot of them), it is now less immediate and far less painful to me. I will always have empathy for IF bloggers and especially for recurrent miscarriers but I'm not in the trenches anymore and I can't pretend to be. So when I comment, I tend not to use my url (with a few notable exceptions for blogs that don't allow anonymous comments). I miss being able to say that "I get it and I'm so sorry and here's some of my story".

I miss Jen, her spelling and her lack of punctuation and capitals. I never commented on her last post as I was at a total lack of words. I don't know what to say to someone when I want (so badly) for them to keep posting but when I also realize that it isn't what they need anymore. I will still go back to her last post and comment at some point once I have something remotely relevant to write other than "don't leave me" (something I have never in actual fact written or said to anyone). In the meanwhile I picture her careening about on a Vespa festooned with jelly beans (even though I know Harry would have drawn the line at that) and arriving home to joyous head-butts from a bloodhound.

I miss what could have been during the five years of miscarriages. I think I will always feel like I should have had three children and that the middle one is missing. I didn't think I would feel this way. I thought having a successful pregnancy would put all of the miscarriages behind me but that hasn't been true.

I miss the blogs that were unapologetic in their anger or pity or general angst. Somewhere we seem to have become overly concerned with pleasing the people who read our posts (at least to my way of thinking). My blog has always been where I can say what I want, when I want and I can't ever imagine trying to please whoever might stop by here. So maybe I am a bitch after all but for the love of all that's holy - STOP APOLOGIZING FOR HOW YOU FEEL.

I miss so many of the bloggers that have stopped blogging in the last couple of years (or who have gone password protected). I also realize it's the nature of the beast. You either graduate from IF blogging with children or without but where's the credibility in blogging about being infertile when you're 85 years old?

So I am left uttering inanities and cliches like 'the only constant is change'. And then I get down on my knees and thank whoever might be listening that I graduated from being a SIF blogger with children. It's a far easier path than the alternative would have been.


DinoD


*Yes DD and Sami, I noticed the whole rockin' blogger thing and I'm not really interested unless it involves a free guitar?

** New picture for those in the know

8 Comments:

Blogger Sami said...

Am I in the know?

While I don't yet know SIF - I do know the recurrent miscarriage song and dance... and I too find it difficult to comment on posts of those still in the trenches. It's not that I don't understand but it's that I worry if they follow me back they'll find me lacking.

As for the rockin blogger - I could lie and say it does get you a guitar :)

5:21 PM  
Blogger DD said...

I know how quickly you responded to my last meme ages ago so I haven't nominated you again. You want to be the cool kid and that's fine by me.

I use to follow links to those who had received bad news. I don't anymore. A drive-by apology cannot be taken seriously as far as I'm concerned and I've experienced too many.

Yes, I apologize on my blog for how I feel but sometimes I need the reminder to not feel that way. I don't have my husband willing to sit down with me and tell me to snap out of it. I don't have close friends in real life who will tell me to snap out of it. I take it to where I know others will understand. So you may order us to stop apologizing for how we feel, but you need to stop believing you're a bitch by doing so. You're not a bitch. You're a soft fuzzy kitten wearing a spiked collar. Many get distracted by the shiny collar. I haven't and I won't.

Sometimes you have to be willing to let your own guard down so those who are close to you can help you build it stronger.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

I still comment on the blogs of those who are still in the midst of infertility. I do so partly feeling bad that my sentiments may not be helpful to them, but also remembering that in dark times Julie, Tertia, Cecily all commented on my blog at different times, after they'd had their children and I really appreciated that they took the time. On balance I would rather have the comments, to know that people are thinkign about me, than not. It's also different with people I've 'known' throughout the 2.5 years I've been blogging. if we started off as infertiles together, but they had children before me, I do mind, but i still appreciate the connection I have with them.

It sounds like we are both going on what worked best for us when we were still in the trenches. It seems we are all different - who would have thunk it - no matter the similarities of the tough things we are dealing with or have dealt with.

I would love to look at pictures, btw, but don't think I'm in the know right now.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Shinny said...

Are her feet really that big? I sure hope you just have some big slippers on that poor little darling. ;)

I try not to apologize too much, other then for my poor spelling, but I also have not had much energy lately to blog about anything. Plus so far so good and I hate to jinx myself.

I hope you don't leave blogging. How will I ever keep up with how big that little girl is getting? ;) Take care.

11:46 AM  
Blogger kati said...

you are teasing us with the pictures, aren't you?

1:11 PM  
Blogger queen said...

I too feel like a fraud when I want to comment, especially with the events at the Stirrup Queens and Sperm Palace Jesters. I wish I didn't.

Please don't stop blogging.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Betty M said...

I am definitely a fraud. I don't blog myself and didn't find blogs until I was really far down the road of IVF and m/c in the quest for a second child. Yet I have found various blogs such as yours through Thalia's (who i "know" through our clinic message board) and I follow about 20 or so that touch a chord with me and occasionally I comment. I hope I have something of help or support to say but I am afraid maybe I just dont. Perhaps now I have my family I should leave the IF world behind but I can't at least not yet.

I think I've found the new pic (in a car seat right?) - lovely.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Country Chick said...

Don't leave me.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home