Etiquette, Schmedicate
I have a question about my son. Actually I have numerous questions about my son such as "where did my genetic information disappear to?" I also now have several key insights as to why men are so foreign. Insights such as "they all start out as boys".
Anyway, it is the beginning of Kindergarten and I am doing my "make nice to the other moms" thing. And a huge bonus is that I actually like some of them. But... but... I am entering the Birthday party quandry.
The party HAS TO BE AT OUR HOUSE (caps courtesy of previously mentioned son). And at least two of his friends from daycare MUST BE INVITED. This means that we cannot invite all the boys from kindergarten. I DO NOT WANT 15 BOYS RUNNING AROUND MY SMALL HOUSE (caps courtesy of me).
So what do I do - invite only some of them and fail in my "make nice to the other moms endevour?" After all, they aren't going to like the bitch who cut their sons from the party list, are they? Or do we just have an extemely small party of boys who are not from the kindergarten? That would be fine until previously mentioned son realizes that small number of guests = small number of presents.
I have a question about my son. Actually I have numerous questions about my son such as "where did my genetic information disappear to?" I also now have several key insights as to why men are so foreign. Insights such as "they all start out as boys".
Anyway, it is the beginning of Kindergarten and I am doing my "make nice to the other moms" thing. And a huge bonus is that I actually like some of them. But... but... I am entering the Birthday party quandry.
The party HAS TO BE AT OUR HOUSE (caps courtesy of previously mentioned son). And at least two of his friends from daycare MUST BE INVITED. This means that we cannot invite all the boys from kindergarten. I DO NOT WANT 15 BOYS RUNNING AROUND MY SMALL HOUSE (caps courtesy of me).
So what do I do - invite only some of them and fail in my "make nice to the other moms endevour?" After all, they aren't going to like the bitch who cut their sons from the party list, are they? Or do we just have an extemely small party of boys who are not from the kindergarten? That would be fine until previously mentioned son realizes that small number of guests = small number of presents.
I have visions of handing out additional "presents" to people as they walk through the door. "If you wouldn't mind pretending that this present is from you as well."
Now this is actually causing me to lose sleep - I spent from 4 - 5:30 am this morning tossing and turning over this. Crap I need something more important to obsess about (and the frozen cycles are not until 2007).
DinoD

5 Comments:
Of the 15 boys, do you have an idea of how many would actually attempt to show? If it's less than half, it's doable. But I would have to agree that any more than a baker's dozen of young "men" running amok in your house would leave anyone seeking professional help.
Could you possible do two parties? One at your house (w/daycare kids) and one someplace else (like one of those germ-infested pizza places) for the larger group?
I know my son would want to invite everyone as well, but I would stipulate that if he can't tell me their names off the top of his head, they aren't invited.
At L's school, you can't invite anyone unless you invite everyone if you deliver the invitations at school. now you can mail them to just the ones you like, but ya can't exclude anyone if you send them home from the school.
We decided to invite the whole class thinking 5-6 would show up...there were 15 8 yo's here! It was madness but a ton of fun for L and his friends. (I needed a stiff drink afterwards.)
We also kept it really simple...ordered pizza, had some juice boxes and doritos and the cake. We played 2-3 easy games and did presents and sent everyone home.
You can do it!
That's a tough one. Especially when you have to set a good example for your son, or ruin his social skills forever. ;-)
I thought the rule for sanity was "one child invited per year of the child's age"?
If the mothers complain (or indeed your son) you can invoke that rule...
hark back to another life time with me, it was many moons ago in a far off land when my alter ego was "nice". ok i was nice once stop laughing, anyway I used to work at a kindy (yes it's true). kids often had two parties one at home with a few (small = few = a couple) and another during the week at kindy for all the kids in that class, mum would bring in cup cakes we'd organise fun'n'games and that was it. saved mum's sanity and I got cup cakes ... ahhh the world was perfect way back when..might be an idea
Post a Comment
<< Home