Thursday, September 28, 2006

I want what I wanted when I wanted it

So the whole kindergarten thing. It's hard on my son and it's hard on me - I keep asking myself, does he really, really need to learn to read? Aren't there plenty of great jobs that don't require literacy skills. Oh, like digging ditches comes to mind.

He finds it hard because he doesn't like writing and the teacher told him he was "making a mess" when he washed his hands. My god, he's a boy - yes, he's a little messy but this is NATURAL - it's not like he goes out of his way to create a mess.

I find it hard because you know when you go to an elementary school in the morning, guess what's there? Kids, kids, more kids and then there are the smaller siblings who would come under the categories of toddlers and babies. And they ain't mine (see, school didn't really do me a lot of good, did it?)

And why is it that I keep on running into other moms who allude to a miscarriage somewhere in their past. As in "well when I was in the hospital having a miscarriage...". And there they are with their three children. What I want to do is instigate a conversation that goes something like the following:

Me: "Oh, and what miscarriage was that?"

Them: "Oh, I miscarried between child two and child three. It was really difficult."

Me: "So you've only had the one miscarriage?"

Them: "Ah, yeah" and then turning to another woman and saying in an undertone "what a bitch, yes I only had the one miscarriage."

I know that whenever someone mentions a miscarriage, I have the ammunition to basically blow everyone out of the water. But one-upmanship just isn't that much fun when it's so easy. And lord knows, I don't want the pity.

And I'm worried that I won't get pregnant with the frozones and I'm worried that I will get pregnant and miscarry and I'm worried that I'll have a successful pregnancy and be walking the next one to kindergarten when I'm 50. Yes, that's 50 years old - just me and the other grandmothers.

And I'm tired of my students pumping me for information about what is on midterm #1. If any of you found your way here - I'm not telling you damn it.

DinoD

5 Comments:

Blogger Donna said...

My Dad and his girlfriend had their son when he was 57. The kid is 15 now (you do the math on Dad's age) and father and son are still doing all the father/son stuff they should be doing. If you have another kid, it will be a huge badge of honor to be walking him/her to kindergarten at 50.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

age schmage but I admit to thinking of the (oh i kill me effin optimist that i am) if this cycle works I'll be X when s/he is X, but stuff it me and the other wrinklies can share our nursing care and child care two in one price there.

and your boy's teacher is a twat i could ramble for awhile on just why i think she's a twat but suffice to say, kids mess live with it.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh good, I'm not the only one whose students are driving her crazy about midterms.

I always think about my age when it comes to my kids. I should have two and be pregnant with our third now. Hahahaha.

He was making a mess while washing his hands? Why not focus on the positive of him washing his hands, and then make a suggestion of cleaning it up? Kindergarten teachers deal with 5 and 6 year olds. It's not like they're immaculate, so she should be used to it.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Sami said...

I think the teacher should have been ecstatic that a little boy was washing his hands. Hello - he's a boy. I don't know what to tell you about the age thing. Whatever you decide you're a great mother now and age is just a number.

Not even a tiny tiny hint about what's on the test? Pretty please!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

my nephew had the same problem with his first year teacher. Hello?? He's a boy AND he's only FOUR!!

I agree w donna, walking your child to school at 50 is an utterly cool thing to do.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home