Thursday, November 15, 2007

Things I Have Realized in the Last 48 Hours (in no particular order)

If my daughter doesn't nap, I cannot blog. I can check blogs while balancing her in one arm but that's about it.

I would love to be able to welcome comments only if they are 100 words or longer (thank-you DD and Julianna). Okay, okay, I like the short ones as well but there's just something magical about receiving a nice long comment to read and think about for a while.

I have actually declared that I will no longer blog several times in the past - always when I had hit the point of assuming that a second child was never going to happen - so I do understand the notion at least a little. I also seem to have missed to point of the story about the little boy who cried wolf.

I have isolated myself enormously. After each miscarriage I withdrew from everyone a little more and almost no one knows about our attempts with IVF. I have "friends" who live only minutes away that don't even know we now have a daughter.

Speaking of, my daughter has grown out of a lot of her littlest clothes, can now roll over one way and is just starting to sit-up a little without support. And I wouldn't have it any other way - she's growing and healthy - hurray! I am unlikely to spend very long bemoaning the fact that she is getting larger - the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

I love my son passionately. I talked to his teacher yesterday and she loves him - he pays attention, listens well and works hard. I don't love my kids differently - they are both in the heart of my heart and I don't distinguish well amongst things held in there.

I don't recognize myself anymore (figuratively and literally). I recently saw some pictures from the first week or so after my daughter was born and I couldn't even believe it was me in some of the photos (in my defence, I was very swollen from the pregnancy and then the surgery and having an IV for about 36 hours). I need to do something about this.

I am less worried these days about someone IRL finding my blog. In fact, when I finally end this blog (hopefully not for a while), my last post will include my picture (not in disguise and not taken from hundreds of feet away). GASP - I'm sure y'all can hardly wait. "End it all now DinoD" I can hear you say.

I need my blog at least for a while to try and figure out where I go from here. I am enormously blessed to have two children but surprisingly it hasn't endowed me with much wisdom or direction (who would have thought?)

DinoD

5 Comments:

Blogger DD said...

Why is there the preconception that comments should be short?

I love, love, long comments and when they end it with "I've taken over your comments section...", I want to shout, "NO! No you haven't! Keep talking!"

It's like talking in life. If someone calls me and says how are you doing? and I answer "fine". Well, what kind of meaningful exchange is that?

I'm glad you'll hang with us a bit longer. I have a mental image of you based on your children, but each time I've guessed at how someone looks, I'm way off.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Sami said...

While I would love to see a picture of you - I'll settle for the kidlets and hope that you continue to write.

As for long comments - I tend to suck at those. Long emails - I'm there. I hope that your daughter has taken a nap today and hopefully will continue to do so - as we love the blogging.

Ernie sends his love - he's been on my list as he's been misbehaving again. Grandma is here so it means anything I say goes in one ear and out the other...

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Sami, I pretty much suck at long comments. Actually, I pretty much suck at commenting at all. Bloglines makes it so easy to read without commenting that, even when I want to, I mark something as new and promise that I'll go back and comment later. Of course, then I never do.

Anyway, I love hearing about your son and your daughter, and will hope that you continue to write for a while!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Thalia said...

My comments have gone way down since baby, I no longer have free hands to type a lot of the time, so can only comment when she's not with me. Although reading I can do any time, pretty much. I love long comments, too, it really feels like a conversation, as DD says. I should probably get better at replying to them so that it really is a conversation...

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I finally tuned in because DD can't stop talking about you and then you are looking at leaving? Well, fancy that. What would you say if I tell you I am in the same predicament with my IF blog and I came to you in a quest to find new reads and see if I could connect with anyone about anything. Oh the irony.

When I started blogging, I needed blogging. It was the only thing I thought about other than being barren and a decent distraction while going through rounds of unsuccessful treatments. My needs have since changed - not disappeared - and I need to reassess whether or not to take my IF blog with me.
One of the issues I am struggling with is the loss of a community of sorts that I kind of enjoy. I have friends IRL but they don't always appreciate my snark. I either need to find new friends IRL or continue to blog. Another issue is that I enjoy writing. I would like to say that I could continue to write for myself, but there is something interactive missing. It is almost a kind of approval/disapproval that fuels my write in the first place.

Since I have sufficiently rambled on enough to create a long response I will leave you with this question. How have your needs changed? Are you still able to get what you need from your blog, even if the need has changed, or is something else looking to fill the space where blogging once resided.

10:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home