Tuesday, December 23, 2008

When The Tough Hibernate

Okay, I think I remember how to do this.... let's see.

I am once again being forced (FORCED) to do this as so few of you are posting so I have been left to my own devices for such an extended period that I have again logged into blogger.

The news? Not really anything other than status quo - kids are growing, I'm still at home for a few more months and the husband has survived a couple of rounds of lay-offs at work. So all in all... copacetic.

We have however been fighting nature for the last few weeks. We have been stuck at home several times.





This first picture is from the 21st when we were still in the "well isn't this a treat, snow for Christmas" stage of things. My son is laughing as his sister was wacking him on the head with her mitten (yes, she's like that).









This next picture is from the 22nd when we were still partial to the snow but beginning to be a little tired of the shoveling. So... our house in all it's winter grandeur (and my son in all his winter grandeur).



By the 24th we were getting a little tired of the whole winter thing (it's not unusual for us to see no snow over the winter and often only an inch or two) On the 24th it dawned on us that we were not going to be able to go and visit the relatives we usually see over Christmas. After trying to drive out of the neighbourhood I also realized that our Salmon Wellingtons were several miles outside of our comfortable driving radius (which was basically the area inside our garage).



This is how things looked on the 24th just as it started snowing again. Did I mention that we don't actually use plows here when it snows? We wait until the snow has stopped and then send out a plow/sander/salter and create small one lane tracks down all the roads (well.. for those roads that are given any attention at all). Of course, it means a lot of backing up when you run into anyone as a lot of people don't shovel their driveways either.





And on the 26th our backyard had disappeared. There is a patio with paving stones a good three feet under the snow level here.





So now I can finally nod knowingly when people tell me I come from a cold and snowy land - been there, done that. All the local sporting good shops are sold out of snowshoes so they're on our list for next year.

But with all the missed visiting, the left-over shake-and-bake chicken cooked in cream of chicken soup for Christmas eve dinner and the lack of goodies which I was supposed to pick up on the 24th, it was a fantastic and wonderful Christmas. I spent it with the three people I love most in the world.

Take care and I hope your holidays were also wonderful.

DinoD

10 Comments:

Blogger K said...

So wonderful to hear from you! And the pics are awesome! You look fab!

2:10 PM  
Blogger Yo-yo Mama said...

"Look! See in the snowy landscape the rare, often cantankerous beast, the DinosourD. Be careful or else it may go back into hibernation for another six months or maybe even until it's offspring graduate from college."

I don't admit it much, but sometimes a snowfall is good for quieting the soul with all it's beauty.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So good to read a post from you! These pictures are AMAZING!

I hope you have a fantastic 2009.

Much love,

Julianna

8:41 PM  
Blogger Betty M said...

By picture 4 I would have so lost my sense of humour even with my nearest and dearest.

Have a good new year!

6:20 AM  
Blogger Sami said...

By picture 4 I would have definitely lost my sense of humor. I thought it was bad when we had 6-8 inches, but that looks like way more. So nice to hear from you... promise I will post soon. Nice to see a picture of you with the kidlets :D

9:53 AM  
Blogger Thalia said...

That is some serious snow. You all look pretty chirpy in that first photo, I hope the good humour stuck around. And so glad that the isolation has forced you to post. Hoping for some other minor changes to help us hear from you more often.

And it all happened the day after I moved you to my new bloglines category - no longer posting!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

We have 2 inches of snow here a few weeks ago and it was just enough to put a nice white dusting on the trees, then within 2 more days it was gone. There is a reason I live in California now and not Canada, my family in BC got whalloped this month. Nice to see a post from you and even nicer to see a picture of the elusive DD.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Shinny said...

So good to see a post from you. We got hit with a crapload of snow the day my parents were attempting to fly in from Florida. Not fun.

Most of it is gone now and we are expecting 20 below next week. Hope my car starts, or do I? ;)

Glad to hear from you and hope that nobody ate anyone during the long cold isolation. ;)

7:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhhh she lives, she breathes, she updates!!!
love the photos, as someone never having seen snow other than in photos or on tv i have this impression i guess you'd call it that snow is romantic and calming. think fires wine and no screaming kidlettes.

i'm sure you're feeling romantic and cuddly hey!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Shinny said...

Ok my dear,
It has been 3 months, what has happened in the frozen tundra of Canada? Did you all survive for the spring thaw? ;)

Hope all is well. Did you check out the black eye on my girl?

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home