Bully, bully for you
So what do you do when a coworker submits a document to a committee that you sit on and this document is full of insinuations about your own conduct and character? There are a bunch of quotes and descriptions of your words taken out of context that attempt to paint you as a rather mean and nasty person? The committee took a vote of confidence in my integrity that was passed unanimously but the document was still circulated within the committee and to another person not in the committee.
So is it libel? Absolutely. Am I willing to hire a lawyer? Absolutely not. Can I pursue it through the executive - probably. Is it worth it? I don't know.
The thing is... if she's willing to do it to me (and I thought we were friends), who else is she willing to do it to?
She had been keeping a secret "file" on me. Is this normal? Is it acceptable?
What does it say about me if I pursue this and what does it say about me if I don't pursue it?
I keep thinking that this can only get worse but just ignoring it seems soooo wrong. My opinion differed from two others and they questioned my conduct and character to focus the committee on something other than the problem at hand (and it worked).
Crap... this is all so trivial and I can't seem to wrap my mind around the "right" thing to do. And how the hell am I supposed to work with these people after this? One actually accused me of being a bully in the meeting as in "DinoD is a bully".
Well, bully for me.
DinoD
So what do you do when a coworker submits a document to a committee that you sit on and this document is full of insinuations about your own conduct and character? There are a bunch of quotes and descriptions of your words taken out of context that attempt to paint you as a rather mean and nasty person? The committee took a vote of confidence in my integrity that was passed unanimously but the document was still circulated within the committee and to another person not in the committee.
So is it libel? Absolutely. Am I willing to hire a lawyer? Absolutely not. Can I pursue it through the executive - probably. Is it worth it? I don't know.
The thing is... if she's willing to do it to me (and I thought we were friends), who else is she willing to do it to?
She had been keeping a secret "file" on me. Is this normal? Is it acceptable?
What does it say about me if I pursue this and what does it say about me if I don't pursue it?
I keep thinking that this can only get worse but just ignoring it seems soooo wrong. My opinion differed from two others and they questioned my conduct and character to focus the committee on something other than the problem at hand (and it worked).
Crap... this is all so trivial and I can't seem to wrap my mind around the "right" thing to do. And how the hell am I supposed to work with these people after this? One actually accused me of being a bully in the meeting as in "DinoD is a bully".
Well, bully for me.
DinoD

2 Comments:
Wow... I have no idea what to tell you to do about this. Seriously this person doesn't sound like an adult, but someone playing high school games. What a pain in the a**. I'm sorry you're going through this. Know that I'm thinking of you and praying this person gets there's in the end.
Work place politics can be so draining. I have no idea what you should do, or even what is right.
I think there are circumstances that justify keeping a file on someone. But whether it might be justified in your case, or plain outrageous, there's no way of knowing from this distance.
Post a Comment
<< Home