Sunday, December 12, 2010

Thank-you Sami and Yo-Yo

I know that in the grand scheme of things this infighting doesn't really matter and one of my collegues (a few of whom are also upset about things) reminded me of the Kissinger (??) quote about academic politics being so bitter because the stakes are so small.

Unfortunately I have this huge character flaw about doing the right thing (morally, ethically) and I also have the loyalty gene - you know, the one that labrador retrievers have (Ernie obviously would understand this) so maybe I'm not as smart as I should be.

Yo-yo, I was talking to my husband about you last night (like we always do) and your situation has been something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I'm not the one failing to play nice - that would be two of my coworkers along with the new hire but the thought of just quitting has been percolating through my rather dense head.

However, I also really don't want to be a SAHM - I'm really not the domestic type and I have visions of me just languishing and getting bored and fat(ter).

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, I actually do pay attention to the posts I read (even if I don't comment) and your posts about work have always caught my attention Yo-yo. It doesn't seem that being intelligent and motivated necessarily opens that many doors and I do appreciate my job wrt pay, benefits, hours etc. It actually allows me to work part-time and be home after school for my son who really needs that (details on jen's new blog). See Yo-yo, you are as a wise guru who speaks great wisdom :-) (and yes, you can quote me on that).

Jen has also made me sit up and fell quite a bit less sorry for myself.

I will go to work (half-time), do my job and then come home. I am through with the battles. Why should I care if we pretend to teach, students pretend to learn, function at a low-high school level and then the tax-payers cough up millions to support post-secondary education?

Damn, I'm going to have to practice the not caring part a lot more. Perhaps I'm a tad obsessive???

Sami - I am so happy for you and will be hoping for the best of course (I'm trying not to sound too optimistic here as I'm sure you are still tentative).

Anyway, Merry Almost Christmas

DinoD

2 Comments:

Blogger Sami said...

Dino D just an FYI you were in the loop about NN 2.0 or 13 or whatever the hell I decide to call it. Anyways thanks for the positive vibes they are appreciated. I also need your address so email me chica. Maybe an Ernie centerfold will be coming your way :)

As for academic politics it sounds similar to some of my workplace politics... I hate the infighting and truthfully would like to remind everyone that we're adults. It's hard in situations like this.

I heard one of my managers say something incredibly stupid or at least it definitely enlightened me to her philosophy which was when told that those who are the trouble makers always get the attention, yet those that do a good job, go above and beyond are rarely ever recognized and her response was it's their job (and she wonders why her evaluations by employees was less than flattering). Sometimes you want to be recognized just for doing your job and doing your job well. I have no idea what my point was... but I'll eventually find it

Until then wow 2 posts in 2 days I'm shocked! I love seeing you here again.

11:05 AM  
Blogger Yo-yo Mama said...

I know the frustration of knowing what is right compared to what is being done. I saw it daily when I worked at the hospital. How was it fair that if a woman on Medicaid could receive services for free and another pay out the ass for the same services when the only difference was the person providing the services was too lazy to get waivers signed?

How was it right that a doctor ordered medically unnecessary tests to pad his paycheck even though Medicare wouldn't pay us for those tests, but pay him. Then there were the non-Medicare patients whose insurance would refuse to pay and stick the patient with the tests...because the V.P.s didn't have the balls to educate (i.e. discipline) the doctor because they were scared he would leave the area?

I fought these fights every fucking day and *I* was the one terminated for being insubordinate. I cared TOO much.

The boss I had before the douchebag who fired me also struggled daily with those feelings. He would tell me (and I think, try to remind himself) to "Lower my expectations."

I am not perfect, but damn! How is it possible that I find myself better equipped intellectually and morally than many of those I work with??

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home