My Son
So it's called Developmental Coordination Disorder and for the neophyte, that would just mean clumsy or uncoordinated. For those of us in the know it means clothes must be hung up as trying to sort through and fold clothes is a challenge. It means that shoes must have velcro closures but still look acceptable for school wear. It means that he doesn't have a real sense of time. It means that his short term memory is really poor and it means that he can't judge moving objects very well. It means I need to walk him to and from school daily. It means he is subject to panic attacks in gym class. It means he has been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder.
It's called being "gifted". It means he could read and write at a high school level at the start of grade four. It means the first words his teacher said at the parent teacher conference were "he is brilliant". It means I can't find appropriate books for him because those that are suitable for length and vocabulary are not appropriate for content. It means we have a library of over 300 books for him and a new book only lasts for a day or two. It means that his writing leaves me absolutely dumbfounded.
It means we all go to a psychiatrist now to try and figure out how to deal with all of this.
DinoD
So it's called Developmental Coordination Disorder and for the neophyte, that would just mean clumsy or uncoordinated. For those of us in the know it means clothes must be hung up as trying to sort through and fold clothes is a challenge. It means that shoes must have velcro closures but still look acceptable for school wear. It means that he doesn't have a real sense of time. It means that his short term memory is really poor and it means that he can't judge moving objects very well. It means I need to walk him to and from school daily. It means he is subject to panic attacks in gym class. It means he has been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder.
It's called being "gifted". It means he could read and write at a high school level at the start of grade four. It means the first words his teacher said at the parent teacher conference were "he is brilliant". It means I can't find appropriate books for him because those that are suitable for length and vocabulary are not appropriate for content. It means we have a library of over 300 books for him and a new book only lasts for a day or two. It means that his writing leaves me absolutely dumbfounded.
It means we all go to a psychiatrist now to try and figure out how to deal with all of this.
DinoD

4 Comments:
Has he already been going to some kind of physical therapy or is that not indicated for this? How and when did you know something was going on? I know you've hinted to it in the past. Medication for the anxiety??
I'm full of all kinds of snoopy-ass questions.
A bookworm and "clumsy"...adolescence is going to be a bearcat.
What does it mean in terms of making friends?
Gifted - sounds so innocuous, though it isn't, I'm sure.
Finding the right books, I can imagine isn't easy.
Perhaps in another language? It might slow his reading pace for a tad.
Habla espaƱol?
It must be very tough for him and you although i am sure there are also great gifts with being gifted. I am not quite sure what 4th grade is in age but what about English classics like Dickens - good stories, more complex texts and sex stuff much less to the forefront?
First off *HUGS* I know that's a bit namby pamby for you, but it's really okay. Second... you and his dad are doing everything you can to adjust to this news and all that it comes with. As for the appropriate books - that's a big hard thing... I know I read Moby Dick... at least now there's the Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia, What's his face and the lightning bolt, diary of a wimpy kid sagas to read. Ultimately this is hard... however - you are up to the challenge. Look at all you've faced so far.
Post a Comment
<< Home